Where does everyone get there wood??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njlungbuster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Galloway, NJ
I'm curious as to where everyone gets their woods for their smokers. Do you buy it online in bulk? On craigslist? A specific store? The Home Depot by me only sells bags of the shavings and for my new UDS i need to have chunks correct? Thanks for your help.

When I buy my yearly firewood I pick out the fruit woods they mix in the oak-almond mix. Plus everyone in the neighborhood knows that I will remove a fruit tree at no charge. That provides plenty of apple wood.

njlungbuster,

Very funny....compare your avatar to mine. My general rule is too never hunt anything that might get pissed off and decide to hunt me.

You on the other hand don't seem to be bothered by that scenario.

50.gif

Nah because I look at it this way. I love hunting so much that if I go out while I'm doing it, I go out happy.

I've cut my own when I had 3 very large hickory trees that were struck by lightning. I have a friend with a pecan grove and another with an apple orchard. Both give me blow downs and limb trimmings for free. BIL had a huge red oak die this summer and I'm in the process of working on getting that cut up now. So, right now I have about 2 cords of dried hickory and 3/4 cord of dried red oak for the fireplace. I will chunk up a straight grained section for smoking when needed. I'm out of white oak which has a milder flavor so I'm looking for a local freebie of white oak right now.

I've will also use Western brand chunks from the various local big box stores when I'm out of any of the above, I've used whiskey barrel stave pieces also (love those, but they are expensive).

If you don't have the time, equipment or knowledge to cut your own trees and process them into firewood or chunks, you might talk to a local arborist or tree removal service. If all you want is a log or two to split up and cut into chunks for smoking, they may just give you some. If not, I'm sure they will sell you any quantity you want for a reasonable price. It will probably be green and need to dry for at least 6 months before use in food smoking though. That is how a lot of the local BBQ joints get their smoke wood around here.

Also our local landfill accepts logs and trimmings for free. They usually set the logs and bigger limb portions off to one side as they are available for anyone to take and split up for free also. Might call your local landfill, especially if government run, as they love to see stuff used. Before I owned my own equipment, I used to get logs there and split them up for free firewood.

Last edited:
Yeah I've got the word out to some people that I'm looking for some fruit woods as well as nut trees etc. we'll see if I hear back.

Tree Services are a good place to ask. I have two companies that know i will take any hardwoods, and they just dump it in driveway.  kinda nice nice to come to home to new pile of plum or apricot!  also some cabinet and door shops will give you scraps that work perfectly.  I cut out the glue joints and burn a chunk on the propane grill just to make sure it smells ok (untreated). I get lots of alder that way which is hard to come by here in Utah and my favorite for fish...  Good Luck!

no idea what you have available in your neck of the woods, in my corner of the tropics i am limited in my selections, i have used smoker trays of hickory and mesquite from twotreesproducts.com out of canada, they were ok but had to use many of them for what i was doing and for cold smoking it just wasn't great to maintain temperature for the tray to work it would drive up the temperature of the smoker to a place i didnt like.  Recently i found a source of charbroil wood chunks, they were massive chunks and i cut them up to maybe six or eight smaller pieces, I was limited to apple wood or mesquite, they also have some whiskey barrel and tabasco chips, The chunks were awesome, i started a small fire in the corner of my smoker then stacked the smaller chunks on top and along the front of my firepan, four chunks lasted me eight hours that way, my smoker is a simple setup, 6 feet tall, witha  door that has a four inch opening at the bottom for a firepan.  no holes drilled in the sides to limit the amount of air as i do much cold smoking.  i lose about half the smoke i create probably by having the pan pulled out a little, but it keeps my temperature under 90 degrees, and i live in the tropics so thats a tradeoff i can manage.  As for the whiskey barrel and tabasco chips, i used the tabasco chips yesterday to smoke some ribs at high heat.  smoke flavor for a one hour cook and smoke was good, just didnt really get much of a tabasco hit like i was hoping.  Anyway, am sure the others advice is better to suit your needs, i just thought i would share my experience.  happy smoking...

Well I called around to a bunch of tree companies and they all said they don't give away any wood. What the heck?? They all wanted to charge me by the log. I really hate all the douche bags in this state.

Most time I have to get my wood at the big box stores... But I just found a supply for peach wood at a price you can't beat FREE the guy said take all you want  then his wife tells me take it all... I told them that when I run out I'll be back. The pile was ten feet tall by twenty feet long and went back 15 feet.. Anyone on the eastershore of Maryland looking for some PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

In Ca I go a place called Firewood of my Ranch. It's in L.A. and they have hickory, red & white oak, pecan, mesquite, walnut, cherry, apple and almond. The wood fired pizza places use alot of

the almond wood. They special cut it so its almost uniform in size. They sell by the bag and by the pallet.  I don't know if they have other distribution places but you could google...

I recently purchased some pecan from an ebay guy who chops it himself. he packaged them in a box splits about 12" long. they worked out great and will buy them again. especially since pecan isn't for sale locally.

there might be something to using wood that isn't local or typical store bought flavor like Hickory or mesquite.it gives my food a little something different without being overwhelming  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky