Where does everyone get there wood??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There is plenty of Oak and Pecan around here on land owned by friends and family. I cut my own and gather twigs and thin branches to break up for the charcoal grill/smoker. We have a fig tree in the backyard. I buy bags of hickory, apple and cherry chips/chunks from various common outlets, for now. 

Normally, at least in my area, buying wood by weight is only for small quantities. Once you get up to tons, people normally sell by volume, and I'm pretty sure price is going to vary depending on what state you live in. A standard measure that it's sold by is the cord, which is 4'x4'x8' (1.22m x 1.22m x 2.43m.) If you were to buy a full cord of bucked up, split and cured oak, it might be $400-$500 where I live. That might weigh in around at 3,300lbs (1500kg.) A full cord of pine might be $120-$150. $200 is about what I'd expect somebody to sell a cord of Juniper for. Funny thing is, some people will sell that same cord of Juniper by the wheel barrow load, and they can jack their prices up and they might make $300-$500 from a lot of small sales. You do get a bulk discount. Except for oak, I've never seen woods suitable for smoking sold by the cord where I live, so I cannot comment on things like hickory, apple, cherry, etc... Around here, you normally get a lot of that stuff by pruning or removing somebody's tree when it needs it. They sell it in small quantities at Lowes and Home Depot. Though I don't normally buy that stuff, but Home Depot has hickory listed at ~$7 for a 5lb bag.
FYI, the exchange rate right now is ~1.0486 USD to 1.00 AUD.
Oak, cherry, hickory, walnut, locust, & maple are all sold for firewood around my neck of the woods.
Glad I don't live near you, a cord of seasoned oak is @$150 to $180, pine or mixed $100 up around me...
I'm glad I don't live near either of you! Wow! I cut my own with my trusty 372xp but a friend of mine sells an 8 foot pickup load for $50 & there are several people that sell for $80/cord & one guy that gets $100/cord. Those prices are for well seasoned hardwood...

Oak, cherry, hickory, walnut, locust, & maple are all sold for firewood around my neck of the woods.

I'm glad I don't live near either of you! Wow! I cut my own with my trusty 372xp but a friend of mine sells an 8 foot pickup load for $50 & there are several people that sell for $80/cord & one guy that gets $100/cord. Those prices are for well seasoned hardwood...

It's an hour and a half drive to the nearest fuel wood cutting areas that aren't private land, and those only allow 5 cords per year. It's 3 1/2 hours to the Gila where no permit is required in some parts of the forest, it's already bucked up and they don't care how much you get. Problem is, I'd use $150 worth of fuel to take the truck and trailer down there and I would not want to put more than about 2 cords on the trailer and maybe a little more than 1/2 cord in the bed. When it comes to oak, it's either going to be scrub oak that we get, which actually burns pretty good but is a lot of work to sniff out, or it is imported from out of state. Bottom line is even it it is from in state, shipping raises costs!

My dad talks about a buddy of his on gulf coast of FL that uses Bay to smoke fish.  I have never heard of anyone using Bay ... anybody out there use Bay?  Technically I think it is Bay Laurel tree ... not the shrub that bay leaves come from the spice jars.

Thanks for the info. Give me something to work on.

Is orange wood or other citrus woods good. Have heard conflicting stories.high creosote. Maybe they did not let it dry enough.

Grey box is $2-300 a ton.Good hard wood

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky