Where does everyone get there wood??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a stick burner. And I'm lucky enough to have a tree trimmer buddy that calls me and asks if I want a pecan or hickory or whatever they just downed that he thinks I may want.

-Nick

I get my wood with a chainsaw. I have just under 1/2 cord of oak that I've acquired over the past month or so of sniffing around the mountains. Yes, I have a woodcutting permit. I have an apple tree, two peach trees, two plum trees, a fruitless dwarf plum tree and a cherry tree, which all get pruned, and I use that wood. One of my neighbors also has an apple orchard, and he doesn't use the wood when he prunes the trees. Next time I'm down around the White Sands Missile Range, I'm going to look for some Mesquite too, though it's not anywhere near as big as the stuff you can get in Texas.

Edit: Aussie, Peach is decent, IMO. It's a lighter flavor than Apple and the smoke itself has a very pleasant toasty aroma. The food that comes out tastes decent and the actual smoking process is delightful due to that aroma.

Last edited:
I get wood from my girlfriend.

No, really.  Her dad owns a fruit orchard so I get lots of cherry and apple wood any time I want.

And peach wood is great.  Any fruit wood makes good smoke wood.

Tree Services are a good place to ask. I have two companies that know i will take any hardwoods, and they just dump it in driveway.  kinda nice nice to come to home to new pile of plum or apricot!  also some cabinet and door shops will give you scraps that work perfectly.  I cut out the glue joints and burn a chunk on the propane grill just to make sure it smells ok (untreated). I get lots of alder that way which is hard to come by here in Utah and my favorite for fish...  Good Luck!
Don't you run the risk of getting treated lumber from cabinet shops?  Maybe this is my ignorance talking, but I thought wood used in those applications was typically treated with nasties that you wouldn't want to burn in a smoker.

Also, good to see another Utahan on the board.  

Well I called around to a bunch of tree companies and they all said they don't giv?e away any wood. What the heck?? They all wanted to charge me by the log. I really hate all the douche bags in this state.

After the recent storm there's a ton of downed trees I just snagged a few pieces off of a downed oak.
Just be careful where you take it from

Pellets from Todd now
icon14.gif

Used to buy the bags of chips from Lowes or Home Depot and they worked fine for me.

Thanks Dan. Elizabeth is all the way up north but I may have to make a trip up there if it gets to that point.

if you get chunk wood locally make damn sure the wood you use to smoke is properly seasoned. you don't want green wood. No bueno. I season mine for a full year before use.

If anyone is interested, I've got access to several tons of orange wood here in FL. I'm in the process of curing it and dividing it into chips, chunks and logs. I'm trying to determine what a good rate is per pound?

I am lucky enough to live in the Country and have access to much Oak and Cherry wood. Close by are others with Pecan. I rarely buy any wood anymore.

I have been getting bagged stuff from Lowes.  I pruned an oak in my yard recenly and cut up some chunks for the Thanksgiving feast.  Water Oak I think ... there are about 60 varieties that grow in coastal Ga.  Didn't work as well as I had hoped.  Maybe chunks were too big, didn't get much smoke from them.  Not even the thin blue.  Oh well ... back to the drawing board.

How is peach wood for smoking.

Orchard 2 hours away is going to cut 5500 trees.

Have to call him today and try to get a truck load.
Hey there peach is a lite, sweet flavor to the meat when it's smoked. If you want a little more just toss in some hickory  or mesquite wood every now and then to add more flavor.

Thanks for the information.
Just got a lead on few ton of chipped pecan and few logs. 
What do yo pay for a ton of log in the USA?

Normally, at least in my area, buying wood by weight is only for small quantities. Once you get up to tons, people normally sell by volume, and I'm pretty sure price is going to vary depending on what state you live in. A standard measure that it's sold by is the cord, which is 4'x4'x8' (1.22m x 1.22m x 2.43m.) If you were to buy a full cord of bucked up, split and cured oak, it might be $400-$500 where I live. That might weigh in around at 3,300lbs (1500kg.) A full cord of pine might be $120-$150. $200 is about what I'd expect somebody to sell a cord of Juniper for. Funny thing is, some people will sell that same cord of Juniper by the wheel barrow load, and they can jack their prices up and they might make $300-$500 from a lot of small sales. You do get a bulk discount. Except for oak, I've never seen woods suitable for smoking sold by the cord where I live, so I cannot comment on things like hickory, apple, cherry, etc... Around here, you normally get a lot of that stuff by pruning or removing somebody's tree when it needs it. They sell it in small quantities at Lowes and Home Depot. Though I don't normally buy that stuff, but Home Depot has hickory listed at ~$7 for a 5lb bag.

FYI, the exchange rate right now is ~1.0486 USD to 1.00 AUD.

Last edited:
Normally, at least in my area, buying wood by weight is only for small quantities. Once you get up to tons, people normally sell by volume, and I'm pretty sure price is going to vary depending on what state you live in. A standard measure that it's sold by is the cord, which is 4'x4'x8' (1.22m x 1.22m x 2.43m.) If you were to buy a full cord of bucked up, split and cured oak, it might be $400-$500 where I live. That might weigh in around at 3,300lbs (1500kg.) A full cord of pine might be $120-$150. $200 is about what I'd expect somebody to sell a cord of Juniper for. Funny thing is, some people will sell that same cord of Juniper by the wheel barrow load, and they can jack their prices up and they might make $300-$500 from a lot of small sales. You do get a bulk discount. Except for oak, I've never seen woods suitable for smoking sold by the cord where I live, so I cannot comment on things like hickory, apple, cherry, etc... Around here, you normally get a lot of that stuff by pruning or removing somebody's tree when it needs it. They sell it in small quantities at Lowes and Home Depot. Though I don't normally buy that stuff, but Home Depot has hickory listed at ~$7 for a 5lb bag.
FYI, the exchange rate right now is ~1.0486 USD to 1.00 AUD.
Glad I don't live near you, a cord of seasoned oak is @$150 to $180, pine or mixed $100 up around me...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky