Where can I get this GMG vertical cabinet?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keithd

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Omaha
DSC02360.jpg

So I was surfing the net, as one does, and I ran across THIS thing.
Is it a home-build job? Was it something GMG used to offer? Man, I'd love to have that if it's worth a darn. Any info would be appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
Seems like this would fit your needs. I know if I still had to smoke A LOT of meat, I would get one..JJ

Reactions: RCAlan and keithd
HA! That's the exact smoker I am looking at.
I'm trying to convince myself I need a Deep South Patio - I found 2 for sale on Facebook marketplace for $2100-2000, but I really like that Smoke Daddy vertical pellet smoker.

But in reality, if I can get my Pit Boss Series 5 working, the PB and the GMG Davy Crockett are all I need.

Also considering that - it just came available on wally world's website for $450 (plus $50 shipping), a LOT less expensive than the Smoke Daddy vertical, and the hopper is ridiculously large. BUT, it's really similar to the Series 5 I have now. It's something I'm considering if the current Pit Boss is a bust. Sold out again at the moment.

Only gripe is that the burn pot isn't readily accessible like it is on the Series 3/5/7.

Only gripe is that the burn pot isn't readily accessible like it is on the Series 3/5/7.

I noticed that. I wonder if it is an issue. Any ash that blows out will be in the bottom of the cabinet and easily whiped out. How frequently are you tearing apart the burn pot to replace Igniter or doing Auger repair? I would think that stuff was figured in during the design process. But then again, who knows what gets missed in the rush to market...JJ

46f4226f-885b-494e-8450-2a266c9efbaf.8cb029394f116b308c7a4019993e884f.png

Also, one complaint I have about the Series 3/5/7 is the location of the controller temp sensor. It's right next to the fire shield, under the water pan and doesn't seem to control temperature very well. The Brunswick's probe has been relocated to the middle left in the picture above, arrow added for clarity. That is what I was going to do with mine before the controller died.

Looks like a Solid design and at less than $500, seem like a winning smoker.

This unit has me intrigued! I have a Great Kettle Grill but there are times I want to get up to temp and cooking quickly and conveniently. I also like the design of a Cabinet Smoker to hang sausages and other meats...JJ

Hey chef jj and others -

I emailed Smoke Daddy about the vertical smoker they have and asked about insulation in the double walls. He said there is none, and that if it was put in that the smoker would retain too much heat causing the firepot to flame out in summer temperatures.

A concern I have is that the SD vertical is 18 gauge (0.047") steel which seems kinda thin. There are high-end vertical pellet smokers that have either fully insulated walls (Cookshack, Sling'n'Steel/Royall) or are made out of 3/16" or thicker steel, and I've seen SD's own page where people convert old fridges that have 2+ inch thick insulation into vertical smokers.

Thoughts? Are my concerns overblown about the insulation and thickness of the metal?

If I could, I'd almost like to get an insulated vertical cabinet smoker from Backwoods, Deep South, or the like.

18ga is thin but are you smoking meat on your patio or is this a traveling competition rig that will be knocked around? That Royall is sweet but $3K, is beyond what my Accountant will agree to.
If Charcoal fired is no problem, these guys below are worth a hard look. They make a sweet pellet grill but not in a cabinet model. Though Chris, the owner, is willing to do custom work with some items. SUPER HEAVY DUTY equipment...JJ

Oh, if I could count the hours I've been looking at and drooling over a LSG vertical smoker!

It's the smoker I aspire to get... Someday.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I don't need anything that big. But their new Pellets Grill! Now THAT I could see on my back deck!...JJ

Reactions: keithd
test
But their new Pellets Grill! Now THAT I could see on my back deck!...JJ

WOW - they took ALL the best ideas and ways of doing things from all the best grills:
  • Yoder-like burnpot where the pellets drop far down eliminating burnback
  • Removable burnpot like a Blaz'n (and maybe others)
  • Downdraft air flow since the chimney opening is down low like a Dan Godke downdraft hood
  • Full bottom slide-out grate
  • Fireboard controller with up to SIX probes (like Yoder)
  • Included pellet drain chute (unlike Blaz'n who charges $70 for the chute)
  • Easily replaceable controller sensor that you unbolt from the outside of the grill instead of having to do a contortion act to remove it
  • Fairly big hopper - 40lbs
  • Apparently can do charcoal grilling
  • Deflector plate is 1/8" steel
Those are the features that stood out to me. Those things are going to be sold out for a LOOOONG time once they're released. Apparently they've had a few issues that they want to fix before actual release. I haven't even seen a single review on them, only 1 youtube video where some dude rambles on a lot and another where a vlogger interviews the LSG owner/manager person.

However, the way I want it it would come to $3055 for the 42" w/off-road wheels (+$795) and a few extras.

The only real negative (aside from cost!) is that it only has 2 racks, but they're decently large and probably plenty for what I'd cook. I'm no caterer.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I'm fine with the smaller grill. And since it will just be parked on the deck, I don't need the Bad A$$ looking off-road kit...JJ

I was thinking about it - *IF*, and only if I got it, I'd probably forgo the off-road kit as it would be parked on my own back deck and just replace the gasser that I rarely use anymore. Saves $795 right there - $2260 is a lot more doable than $3055!

So I threw my name onto the waiting list. #52 in line, it'll probably be a while.

Last edited:
That's great! Not that you are #52 but that you will be getting what looks like a rock solid pit. Chris, can probably expand his operation just making Pellets Grills. They are likely the heaviest steel Pits made, he has the benefit of knowing exactly what's good and bad with other designs and, is giving all this hundreds if not thousands of dollars below the top competition. May time Speed up at LSG!...JJ☺

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to pay shipping vs driving down there. I know only I can answer that, just wondering aloud in case you have any input that might make me swing one way or the other. I figure shipping's going to be costly - like $500 or so to Omaha, NE and driving might cost that much, but Willis, TX is like 15 min from where my parents live.

I'm going to have to sell my motorcycles to help pay for it, but I don't hardly ride and a LSG smoker will last decades if they're taken care of. The controller is my only concern. Might eventually ask about buying a spare controller.

Side question - I wonder if it's worth it/possible to ask about having a 1" bung welded into the side to attach a Smoke Daddy smoke generator for cold smoking. I can always ask. :-)

It is typically nice to visit your Parents!
The Grill is a lot of steel! What are you going to haul it in? Do you have the man power to unload and move it around when you get it home? As far as controllers go, whatever is on the machine will be obsolete, next year. In the event it dies, they likely are in stock, or there is an upgraded controller available. If it's cheap <$100 get one but I doubt I would tie up more money on a $2K+ puchase.
I spoke to Chris, the owner, some years ago about a custom job. He basically said, the smokers and grills are hand made and pretty much anything goes, especially easy stuff like extra shelves and guides, thermometer bungs, etc....JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky