When we're not burning the wood...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr mac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 19, 2009
Doniphan MO
...my son and I do this...

Fiddleback maple from a pile we got from a friend here in MO.

Birdseye maple (from same source)

Spalted hackberry (from the south)

Later, when I get home and access my camera I'll post the picture of the walnut we had in our backyard!

Mac

Here is the walnut we salvaged from a downed limb last summer...

Very nice pens.

I never made any pens.

I used to do a lot of "reverse-turning" though.

Bear

Those pens are very nice indeed. Congrats on some great craftsmanship for sure

Mr Mac, those are some nice writing instruments!!  Pen turning is one of those things on my "to-do" list.

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man those are some nice turning. I used to do alot of turning after I got our of high school in fact it was the first company I owned Custom Furniture. But I haven't done any in many many years. But yours look super nice and I couldn't even fatham how to turn something so small. I have made table legs and bed post and such but never anything so small.

Thanks all!  Jake truly enjoys doing it and the extra money he earns towards certainly helps a lot as well!  Most people think we have a mini-lathe in operation but we don't, it is a full sized 36" belt driven dinosaur but she still does the job!

Those look beautiful!   Do you make fountain pens?

Indeed we do!  They are similar to this and available in gold, sterling silver (like this one), titanium and chrome.

Mac,

Thanks for showing. They all look great!

It's nice to see things now & then that we can't eat.

We should have a section maybe titled "What Else Do You Do?"

Must be all kinds of neat stuff from the bunch of talented people we have on this forum.

Bear

Absolutely gorgeous! I love hand crafted items like that. This may sound a bit odd, but something I truly believe. When a person creates something so beautiful by hand like these pens, the artist puts his or her good vibes or love of what he is creating into the piece and that transfers to the new owner. Unlike all the factory made in China stuff. Truly beautiful pens!

That's a great idea Bear! I would love to know what everyone else does for hobbies or at their work. I guess we could post that kinda stuff under General Discussion, but it would fit better under what you said "what else do you do".

My son's latest.  He made this one for a lady who wanted a nice pen for her husband.  After chatting a bit to see what kind of guy he was we found out he was a hunter and so we came up with this.  She told a couple of friends and we had to make a couple more! 

Brown Australian mallee burl

2bb95818_DSC05696.jpg

e8234a97_DSC05698.jpg

Last edited:
Those are great...I have some nice blocks of Walnut that are 15 years old that I would like to learn how to make Duck calls with.

Jake (son) has a duck call kit and for some reason he hasn't done anything with it yet.  Maybe it's too cold in the garage for him...

8f16ed72_DSC05654.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky