1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

When we're not burning the wood...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr mac, Sep 30, 2010.

1. mr mac

mr mac Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

...my son and I do this...

Fiddleback maple from a pile we got from a friend here in MO.

Birdseye maple (from same source)

Spalted hackberry (from the south)

Later, when I get home and access my camera I'll post the picture of the walnut we had in our backyard!

Mac

2. mr mac

Here is the walnut we salvaged from a downed limb last summer...

3. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Those look beautiful!   Do you make fountain pens?

4. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Very nice pens.

I never made any pens.

I used to do a lot of "reverse-turning" though.

Bear

5. scarbelly

scarbelly Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Those pens are very nice indeed. Congrats on some great craftsmanship for sure

6. itsmetimd

itsmetimd Fire Starter

Very nice indeed!  I turn pens as well but haven't in quite a while... I need to get the lathe spinning again soon.

7. Dutch

Dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Mr Mac, those are some nice writing instruments!!  Pen turning is one of those things on my "to-do" list.

8. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Man oh Man those are some nice turning. I used to do alot of turning after I got our of high school in fact it was the first company I owned Custom Furniture. But I haven't done any in many many years. But yours look super nice and I couldn't even fatham how to turn something so small. I have made table legs and bed post and such but never anything so small.

9. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

Nice Job!!!

10. mr mac

Thanks all!  Jake truly enjoys doing it and the extra money he earns towards certainly helps a lot as well!  Most people think we have a mini-lathe in operation but we don't, it is a full sized 36" belt driven dinosaur but she still does the job!

11. mr mac

Indeed we do!  They are similar to this and available in gold, sterling silver (like this one), titanium and chrome.

12. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Mac,

Thanks for showing. They all look great!

It's nice to see things now & then that we can't eat.

We should have a section maybe titled "What Else Do You Do?"

Must be all kinds of neat stuff from the bunch of talented people we have on this forum.

Bear

13. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Absolutely gorgeous! I love hand crafted items like that. This may sound a bit odd, but something I truly believe. When a person creates something so beautiful by hand like these pens, the artist puts his or her good vibes or love of what he is creating into the piece and that transfers to the new owner. Unlike all the factory made in China stuff. Truly beautiful pens!

14. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's a great idea Bear! I would love to know what everyone else does for hobbies or at their work. I guess we could post that kinda stuff under General Discussion, but it would fit better under what you said "what else do you do".

15. mr mac

My son's latest.  He made this one for a lady who wanted a nice pen for her husband.  After chatting a bit to see what kind of guy he was we found out he was a hunter and so we came up with this.  She told a couple of friends and we had to make a couple more! 

Brown Australian mallee burl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  16. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Those are great...I have some nice blocks of Walnut that are 15 years old that I would like to learn how to make Duck calls with.

17. mr mac

Jake (son) has a duck call kit and for some reason he hasn't done anything with it yet.  Maybe it's too cold in the garage for him...

[​IMG]

18. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Now that cold...Where did he get his Duck Call kit if you do not mine me asking...

19. coacher72

coacher72 Smoking Fanatic

Great looking pens. I'm always envious of people who are pretty handy and can do things like that. NIce Job!!