What's a good red wine for cooking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BuckeyeSteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
I tried a new beef stew recipe last night that called for two cups of dry red wine. Not being a wine drinker, I asked one of the neighbors what I should use. She said since I'm cooking with it, just buy the cheapest wine you can find. I'm not sure that was the best advice.

I chose a Merlot that was on sale for $3.49. Overall I thought it turned out pretty good, but it did have a mild vinegar taste to it. I think a better quality wine or maybe a different style would be more flavorful.
So what would you recommend for an inexpensive red wine to use next time?

If you would not drink it , don't cook with it is the rule I go by . I buy wines from Missouri . Semi dry white and a red , just to have around for sausage and some sauce recipes .
St. James winery or Stone Hill . Find something you like the taste of and use that .

If you would not drink it , don't cook with it is the rule I go by . I buy wines from Missouri . Semi dry white and a red , just to have around for sausage and some sauce recipes .
St. James winery or Stone Hill . Find something you like the taste of and use that .
Thanks chopsaw, I'll look for those next time.

That is the number ONE rule, if you don't drink it, don't cook with it! Flavor is the key, and it can vary depending on the intent of the recipe. I would suggest trying a Pinot Noir as a safe decent burgundy to go try first. There are many Pinot wine makers to choose from.

That is the number ONE rule, if you don't drink it, don't cook with it! Flavor is the key, and it can vary depending on the intent of the recipe. I would suggest trying a Pinot Noir as a safe decent burgundy to go try first. There are many Pinot wine makers to choose from.
Thanks shlotz, I'll keep that in mind. I saw several Pinot Noir's at a fairly reasonable price.

The other suggestion is if you are just using it for cooking, get a good (I know.....) box wine so you can use it as needed from the fridge and you don’t have it go nasty after it’s opened. It doesn’t take red wine to go bad after opening.....As others have said it needs to taste good. The other thing is to cook it long enough to get the alcohol out....

Another way to get that acidic add is to use a table spoon of red wine vinegar with a dash of sugar and cook it in a bit.....

Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
I keep a bottle or two of Bogle around. Either their Petite Sirah or the Old Vine Zinfandel. I like the wine to drink and I also like the price. A splash for the pot and a splash for the cook. Not $4 a bottle but not to outrageous. I also keep a gallon of burgundy wine on hand. Great for adding depth and I love beef bourguignon.

The other suggestion is if you are just using it for cooking, get a good (I know.....) box wine so you can use it as needed from the fridge and you don’t have it go nasty after it’s opened. It doesn’t take red wine to go bad after opening.....As others have said it needs to taste good. The other thing is to cook it long enough to get the alcohol out....

Another way to get that acidic add is to use a table spoon of red wine vinegar with a dash of sugar and cook it in a bit.....
Two cups of wine used a pretty good amount of the bottle. I sipped almost the rest of it while I cooked. I really didn't like the taste of it. Probably because it was crappy wine. I'm more of a beer drinker, and never really developed a taste for wine, although I've had several dishes that had wine in it that were really good.
I reduced it to around 50% before I added beef stock, so I think I boiled out the alcohol.

I keep a bottle or two of Bogle around. Either their Petite Sirah or the Old Vine Zinfandel. I like the wine to drink and I also like the price. A splash for the pot and a splash for the cook. Not $4 a bottle but not to outrageous. I also keep a gallon of burgundy wine on hand. Great for adding depth and I love beef bourguignon.
Thanks Skade, I'll have to make a list of the suggestions next time I shop.

oh I’d say you cooked it enough reduced by 1/2!!!!

if it tastes nasty by it’s self it’s not going to taste any better cooked! Just note $3 bottle is a no go.....but you don’t need a $25 bottle either....I usually spend 15-18 ish for a small box and then it stays good!

I buy a $8-$12 bottle for cooking, rarely drink wine but some recipes are based on wine for the flavor. Never buy cooking wine because of the added salt. they do that so the can sell in grocery stores that don't allow wine sales. thankfully Tn now sells it any where

Reactions: BuckeyeSteve
I buy a $8-$12 bottle for cooking, rarely drink wine but some recipes are based on wine for the flavor. Never buy cooking wine because of the added salt. they do that so the can sell in grocery stores that don't allow wine sales. thankfully Tn now sells it any where
Thanks Mike, it sounds like my crappy $3.50 a bottle wine is the problem. In my defense, the regular price was $4.50 :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
Price cant always be the deciding factor, several years ago we bought some Brute Champaign for $3 a bottle in Fl, it was great, picked up more to celebrate out anniversary lol

Reactions: SKade
Price cant always be the deciding factor, several years ago we bought some Brute Champaign for $3 a bottle in Fl, it was great, picked up more to celebrate out anniversary lol
I agree. Price is not always the point. Taste is the big factor. I will go cheaper on white wine that I add because what I’m going for mostly is brightness and a little depth. I found that I can do this with some of the cheaper wines. That rich layered depth I want when I add red I go for my $8-10 bottle or my jug.

I second Box Wine. Since no air gets to the bulk of the wine after you tap out a few cups, it won't go bad. The wine I cook with and drink is the Box Wines by Peter Vella. I cook with the Cabernet and Chardonnay. Both are full bodied and Fruity. They don't get lost in the food nor over power it. However, my Wife likes her wine a bit sweeter, Peter Vella has two blended wines, Delicious Red and Delicious White that are more palatable to folks that don't care for bone dry varietals. The Delicious Red works fine in bold sauces that can use the sweetness, like Spaghetti Sauce but, the Delicious White is too sweet for delicate Butter Sauces on stuff like Seafood. Give them a try, not expensive and keep indefinitely after opening...JJ

I second Box Wine. Since no air gets to the bulk of the wine after you tap out a few cups. The wine I cook with and drink is the Box Wines by Peter Vella. I cook with the Cabernet and Chardonnay. Both are full bodied and and Fruity and don't get lost in the food nor over power it. However, my Wife likes here wine a bit sweeter, Peter Vella has two blended wines, Delicious Red and Delicious White that are more palatable to folks that don't care for bone dry varietals. The Delicious Red works fine in bold sauces that can use the sweetness, like Spaghetti Sauce but, the Delicious White is too sweet for delicate Butter Sauces on stuff like Seafood. Give them a try, not expensive and keep indefinitely after opening...JJ
Thanks Jimmy. I knew I would get some great advise from you guys.

Up here in Canada we have wine in 250ml cans. You don’t get much of a selection but we aren’t wine drinkers either.

What? All those FRENCH descendants don't drink wine? Que se passe-t-il???...JJ

Reactions: Murray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky