What's a good red wine for cooking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am not much of a wino, as I think "connisewers" (sp) are a haughty bunch.

that being said, think of the science.... IF O2 can damage red wine over time, it is reasonable to think it can alter the flavour short term.... Call it aging, like meat.

some folks like beef aged excessively. but science shows us that after a certain time, the collagen is broken down as much as it is going to be..... aging beyond that "rots" the meat.

now, that rotting is not necessarily destroying the meat, but it certainly alters the flavour more.

So, that is what I think wine does.... ages to a certain point where it is best, THEN beyond that, the oxidation starts to rot it.
Now, I assume there are some folks who would like that!
you may not be one of them.

I finally got around to making the beef stew again. This time instead of the $4 bottle of wine, I used a bottle of Dark Horse Cabernet Sauvignon. Still an inexpensive bottle, but the difference was night and day. The stew was incredibly tasty. There was about a third of the bottle left and I drank it while I cooked, I‘m not much of a wine drinker, but I actually enjoyed it. So the advice I got to just use the cheapest bottle you can find was horrible advice.

Cab's are a good choice for hardy stews. Another option, which I use a lot when braising short ribs for 5-6 hours, is a good Pinot Noir.

Lesser known but an outstanding Red is Zinfandel. Not that sweet Yuppie Rosé of the 90's, White Zin, but the wine made by letting the Zinfandel Grape be all it can be...JJ

Red Zin is still my goto after many years, Jimmy. Unfortunately, like other things once it got 'discovered' the prices jumped!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I tried a new beef stew recipe last night that called for two cups of dry red wine. Not being a wine drinker, I asked one of the neighbors what I should use. She said since I'm cooking with it, just buy the cheapest wine you can find. I'm not sure that was the best advice.

I chose a Merlot that was on sale for $3.49. Overall I thought it turned out pretty good, but it did have a mild vinegar taste to it. I think a better quality wine or maybe a different style would be more flavorful.
So what would you recommend for an inexpensive red wine to use next time Rotwein?
I'm just getting into wine making. I have to order yeast and some supplies online as I'm in a small town in northern Canada. We do have a LHBS however she only carries Lalvin 1118. I'm looking for recommendations or opinions or any suggestions on yeasts to try with fruit based wines. A few on my list: peach, blueberry, crabapple and blackberry.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky