Whats a Good Competition Knife?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nehemiahl

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Whats a good competition knife for slicing brisket then one for slicing ribs?

12" Victorinox Fibrox handle slicer. Would be perfect for slicing ribs and brisket, and anything else. It's super sharp, easy to clean, and not too expensive. They also make the same knife with a granton edge, but it costs more and probably wouldn't perform any better. The fibrox handles are really great too, I highly reccomend them.

41eoY4T-PpL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: checkmarc
12" Victorinox Fibrox handle slicer. Would be perfect for slicing ribs and brisket, and anything else. It's super sharp, easy to clean, and not too expensive. They also make the same knife with a granton edge, but it costs more and probably wouldn't perform any better. The fibrox handles are really great too, I highly reccomend them.

41eoY4T-PpL._SL1500_.jpg
+1 Those are great knives, they actually do use a good carbon steel for the blades, but a lot of people frown on them because of the plastic handles.... lol. Bang for the buck a great blade all around.

Reactions: checkmarc
I have three knifes from the Forschner line by Victorinox.

I agree with Johnny. They are a great knife for a reasonable price.  As good, in my opinion, as knives for which I paid many times their price.

Good luck and good smoking.

These are very good knives and hold their edge very well. I would go for the Granton edge for brisket as it allows a thin slice without tearing. A Santoku style is good for ribs. It has a heavier and stiffer blade to better separate the ribs and works better with ant gristle that may remain.

Any knife that is sharp, easily cleaned, and has a good handle to grip, especially when cutting greasy foods.

I am currently thinking about a "Bubba Blade". I mean how can ya go wrong with a name like that??

http://www.bubbablade.com/itemdetail-9-inchstiffie.htm

Full tang w/ a hand guard and I was thinking about the flex blade would be nice to bone out butts.
Lot of less than favorable reviews on Amazon on a couple of the bubbablade knifes I looked at...

I am looking at this for an electric. I have the Slicer above with the Granton edge and wood handle. The handle gets slippery when greasy so go with the plastic. The granton edge performs ok but with the knife being 15 years old and sharpened a couple times a year, the edge is worn to the point that the edge is into the depressions. The edge is sharp but looks more like a serrated knife than a straight edge. As thin as the knife is, I would skip the granton if I was going to replace the one I have

51jhu7zN47L.jpg

41eoY4T-PpL._SL1500_.jpg
This would definitely be my choice for slicing brisket (or anything boneless you want to slice like pork loin, etc.). It's what I use on a regular basis for those tasks.

For ribs I use a 10" Victorinox Chef with Fibrox for the same reason someone else recommended the Santoku. The slicer will handle ribs 98% of the time but for that 2% the extra blade heft of the Chef (and given my little bit of experience with Santokus they'd do just as well) makes dealing with bones or gristle that much easier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky