What your favorite Thanksgiving Side Dish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My wife hates it, but my friend's Canadian wife was intrigued - so I'm making it this year. Creamed pearl onions au gratin. Made with extra sharp New York cheddar (if I can find it - if I can't an extra sharp white cheddar).
Care to share that recipe? Sounds great

Ryan

Anything I can either dip into or pour my gravy onto.

It goes on everything from the dressing, to the green bean casserole, to the mac n cheese.

Then, my pecan pie. I usually don't get a fresh plate so it may have traces of gravy on the crust.

My favorite may actually be a sliver of brown turkey skin dripping gravy. I hate turkey, love the browned skin.

We are not traditional T-Day menu.
On chicken years, It is dressing and gravy for me, mashed taters for my son, and sweet taters for wife. Daughter loves it all.
This year is enchiladas, so chips and salsa is usual side. Are Margaritas a valid side?

BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma
I love breaded corn, which is creamed corn with bread and cracker crumbs.
My wife has threatened severe consequences if I make anything resembling creamed corn due to a childhood incident of overeating corn.

So 'dressing' = cooked in a pan, and 'stuffing' = cooked in the bird?
More of a regional / colloquialism term than actual usage.
Similar to casserole, dish to pass, and hot dish.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That Creamed Corn sounds good but I would DOUBLE the add-ons! Once a year Treat...😇

My favorite TG Dishes...JJ

Sage and Herb Sausage Dressing

2 1/2Lbs Bread, 2 of the large sliced sandwwich loaves.
4C Chicken Broth
1Stk Butter
1 1/2Lbs Breakfast or Country Sausage, 2 Rolls Jimmy Dean is good.
2C Diced Onion, 1Lrg.
2C Diced Celery, 4 big Ribs.
2T Minced Fresh Sage Leaves, small bunch. (1T Dry Sage, rubbed)
1T Fresh Thyme Leaves, 6-8 sprigs. (1tsp Dry Thyme, rubbed)
1T Fresh Rosemary Leaves, Minced (1tsp Dry Rosemary, rubbed)
Salt and Pepper To Taste.

Melt the Butter in a 2Qt Pot. Add the Sausage and brown, breaking up into marble sized chunks.

Add the Onion and Cerlery and saute until tender.

Add the Herbs and saute until fragrant,2-3 minutes.

Add the Chicken Broth bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, 15-20 minutes.

Using a Serrated Knife, cut the bread into 3/4 inch Cubes and place in a large bowl.

Here is where I break with tradition, because my family likes moist dense Dressing as if it came out of the Bird...

Pour the Broth mixture over the bread and mix well.

Pour the Dressing mix in a greased 9 X 13 baking Dish.

Bake at 350°F for 1 hour until hot and top is Brown and Crunchy.

Note: For a lighter Dressing, Dry the Bread Cubes in a 275°F Oven, spread on cookie sheets, toss frequently. To bake, cover the baking dish with foil and bake 30 minutes, Uncover and bake 30 minutes more to Crisp and Brown the top...

Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble

3Lb Sweet Potatoes
1/2C Brown Sugar
1/4C Pure Maple Syrup
1/2C Melted Butter
2ea Eggs
1/4C Heavy Cream
1tsp Vanilla
1/2tsp Cinnamon
1/2tsp Nutmeg
1" Fresh Ginger, grated

Topping

!C Brown Sugar
1C Flour
1/2C Melted Butter
1/2C Chopped Pecans
1 1/2tsp Cinnamon
1" Fresh Ginger, grated

Bake sweet potatoes at 425°F until soft, 1 to 1.5 hours.

Cool 30 minutes on the counter. Peel and mash lightly.

Mix all filling ingredients and spread in a buttered 1 1/2 Qt baking dish.

Combine Topping ingredients in a bowl and toss with a fork until Pea sized crumbs form.

Top the potatoes and bake a 350°F for 30 minutes.

This is good hot or cold!!!

My wife hates it, but my friend's Canadian wife was intrigued - so I'm making it this year. Creamed pearl onions au gratin. Made with extra sharp New York cheddar (if I can find it - if I can't an extra sharp white cheddar).

Creamed pearl onions au gratin w/extra cheese recipe; Please!

Apple sausage stuffing/dressing (we make both and mix)

Made that our first Thanksgiving together, misinterpreted her mother’s recipe, took hours to cut/make and had enough dressing to feed an army. Still laugh about it.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky