What your favorite hot sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
chefj

Please forgive me. I forgot a couple of other great hot sauces that aren't competitors of Tapatio like Valentina's but more like Tabasco or Frank's.

Try some Crystal or Louisiana hot sauce. Neither will break the bank and are both available from WallyMart.

One more. Let me recommend the Herdez Salsa's. Three different heats IIRC. Good stuff. WallyMart too.

All the above are tasty and are in the heat range of Valentina's.

Last edited:
Thanks. I know have close to a Gallon of Hot Sauces in the house. I will definitely get the Stink Eye, if I add more to the list.😉...JJ

Ok, my Wife brought home a bottle of Original and Hotter, Valentina's...Really Great! Nice Chile Flavor and Heat. Its very well balance, not too Sour or Salty. The Chile flavor really shines. 1MoreFord 1MoreFord and tallbm tallbm Thanks so much for the heads up. I'll be cooking with the Tapatio until it's gone, but Valentina's is my new GoTo, for flavor, price and Availability out here in Rural PA...JJ

Oh yeah that stuff is good to go. People have no clue hahaha.
Also if you need buffalo chicken sausage that Tapatio has no vinegar in it to mess with the sausage bind. The slurry I made for my buffalo chicken sausage smelled and tasted AMAZING.
To bad I'm such an SV sausage n00b and ruined my buffalo chicken sausage with complete fat out hahahaha.

I want to give it another run. I have Tapatio just for it :)

Reactions: chef jimmyj
tallbm tallbm Buffalo Chicken Sausage sounds good! You have a thread/recipe posted here?

1MoreFord 1MoreFord I make my BBQ sauces and we keep SBRay's around for emergencies. And You are correct! If I ask Bev to start buying Sauces to sample, i would not get the type of response I would be comfortable with.😊...JJ

tallbm tallbm Buffalo Chicken Sausage sounds good! You have a thread/recipe posted here?

1MoreFord 1MoreFord I make my BBQ sauces and we keep SBRay's around for emergencies. And You are correct! If I ask Bev to start buying Sauces to sample, i would not get the type of response I would be comfortable with.😊...JJ

Chefjj I posted the seasoning mix here:

It may need some tweaks but I can say that the slurry flavor smelled and tasted amazing!!!!
My fry test didnt have bad flavor at all BUT I discovered that my pork fat was in the freezer too long and was now freezer burned which made it hard to get through all the flavors but what I could taste around the freezer burn seemed fine.

The sausages were my first attempt at SV sausages (skinless) and I completely fatted out and ruined the sausage so can't speak to how the sausage flavor was as it never really made sausage just grainy mush hahaha, but again the slurry was amazing so all the other problems were strictly on me.

Feel free to give it a shot and compare tweaks and notes. I would love to have a really good buffalo sausage and that Tapatio has no vinegar in it to cause problems with sausage making :)

tallbm tallbm Thanks for the link. I went back to look at the Tapatio ingredients, and noticed it's 4th ingredient was ACETIC ACID. Acetic Acid is the Sour in Vinegar. The Mother Bacteria consumes Alcohol or Sugar and release Acetic Acid. A typical Vinegar is about 4% by volume.
What impact does the Vinegar in Hot Sauce have on the sausage? I never got that far into the science...JJ

A friend turned me on to this when he opened my eyes to the wonderful marvel of Jungle Jim's. Awese combination of good heat and flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_202327.jpg
    IMG_20210115_202327.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 13
tallbm tallbm Thanks for the link. I went back to look at the Tapatio ingredients, and noticed it's 4th ingredient was ACETIC ACID. Acetic Acid is the Sour in Vinegar. The Mother Bacteria consumes Alcohol or Sugar and release Acetic Acid. A typical Vinegar is about 4% by volume.
What impact does the Vinegar in Hot Sauce have on the sausage? I never got that far into the science...JJ

My understanding is that vinegar negatively affects the texture and possibly the bind as well of the sausage.
Ah crap if Acetic Acid is thing in vinegar that causes this effect then I totally missed that hahaha.
I think you are right and in this case I totally dropped the ball and misinformed about it haha.
Only a test will tell. I ruined my batch due to bad SV so maybe someone will do a 1-3 pound batch and report back about the texture and bind.

If this doesnt work then its back to the drawing board to get a good buffalo sausage recipe going :)

Sorry to bring bad news and thanks for the clarification. I would like to play wjth this recipe but use Skin on thighs to provide the fat instead of pork fat...JJ

Sorry to bring bad news and thanks for the clarification. I would like to play wjth this recipe but use Skin on thighs to provide the fat instead of pork fat...JJ

Hahaha no biggy.
Yeah feel free to make anything u like and report back. I'm always curious to see how any version of things come out :)

I could never pick a favorite, this ones gettin popular round here for adding actual (non-extract) reaper flavor-
Hotsauce_ReaperSqueezins_Front_1200x630.jpg

I use a bland ghost extract sauce when i wanna add pure heat. lately its this novelty one-
KIMG0562 - Copy.JPG

Texas Pete and Hot Cholula are always on hand.

I have some of the high scoville stuff on the fridge. A little goes a long way in a big pot of chili.

My tolerance for heat is diminishing as i get older.

Diced habenero is about all i need these days...

Ghosts are pushing it for me now. Don't know what happened

Oh so many hot sauces out there. There are quite a few I like, to me some go better on certain things. Like Tabasco on Gumbo. Probably my go to hot sauce I use most is Mine. It is a Clone of Franks. Now if you decide to make it, Make It Outside, or your gunna have a Mad Wife (or Husband)
But again so many good ones out there, I remember when I was a kid there were only a few to choose from.

Gary

Oh so many hot sauces out there. There are quite a few I like, to me some go better on certain things. Like Tabasco on Gumbo. Probably my go to hot sauce I use most is Mine. It is a Clone of Franks. Now if you decide to make it, Make It Outside, or your gunna have a Mad Wife (or Husband)
But again so many good ones out there, I remember when I was a kid there were only a few to choose from.

Gary
So Gary,

Would you care to share your recipe?

Thanks,

John

Sure

Frank’s Hot Sauce (Copycat)

18 fresh cayenne peppers (ends & stems removed)

1 ½ cups
white vinegar

2 teaspoons garlic, minced

1 teaspoon
salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon sugar

DIRECTIONS
USING FRESH CAYENNE PEPPERS.

There are two different ways to prepare this sauce. You can use fresh cayenne peppers, or you can use cayenne peppers from your garden that you have canned.

If you're using fresh cayenne peppers, simply remove the ends and measure all of the ingredients into a small saucepan.

Heat over medium heat until boiling.

Reduce the heat slightly, but so the mixture continues to boil.

Simmer about 15 - 20 minutes.

Remove the mixture from heat, carefully pour it into a blender & puree until thick and smooth.

Transfer the mixture back into the saucepan and simmer another 15 minutes.

USING CANNED CAYENNE PEPPERS.

If you're using canned cayenne peppers, which is what we used in this particular recipe --.

In a blender add 18 peppers, 1 cup of vinegar (we used the juice from our home-canned peppers), garlic, salt, and garlic powder.

Cover and puree until smooth.

Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Let cool and pour into bottle

Note: I usually at least quadruple this recipe. also the longer you cook it the more it reduces and thickens.

BE SURE AND MAKE THIS OUTSIDE !!!

Texas Pete and Hot Cholula are always on hand.

I have some of the high scoville stuff on the fridge. A little goes a long way in a big pot of chili.

My tolerance for heat is diminishing as i get older.

Diced habenero is about all i need these days...

Ghosts are pushing it for me now. Don't know what happened
I'm with you. Texas Pete is my all purpose, every day hot sauce along with Frank's. Wife likes Cholula. Old Bay is good on fried shrimp and fish. These are all very low on the Scoville scale.

Yes, I have plenty of the stupidly hot stuff, but it doesn't get used anymore unless someone specifically requests one. It's not out on the counter for people to see....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky