What your favorite hot sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I LOVE ChilTepins! Those little suckers are hot but man the flavor is amazing! Their bigger brother Pequins are also amazing with flavor. I make Peri Peri sauce with Chiltepins.

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj you have all the right tastes in the variety of sauces! That red pepper paste is amazing and not an item I would expect many use haha.

As for me, I am a lover of Cholula but don't buy it too often, it is made with Pequin peppers which makes it so good.

!!!!Attention all people who are against too much vinegar in hot sauces.
I stumbled across this hot marked down at the grocery store and I was like "ok i'll give it a shot it's always around".
WOW I was so pleasantly surprised! Its flavor is soo good and it's hot sauce but something was noticeably different. I checked the label and... NO VINEGAR!?!?!?? I had never seen that with a hot sauce before and man this stuff was great!
View attachment 475683View attachment 475684

They make it in bigger bottles and it seems to be very readily available here in Texas.
So if you see it and you are a person that may be vinegar sensitive or just opposed to most vinegar things then this hot sauce will likely be a pleasant surprise for ya

I'm far from a true Chili Head, but I use these two fairly often. First ran across Smokin' Marie during a cruise ship stop in Belize.
Hot sauces.jpg

Decades ago I bought a case of The Pepper Plant California Style original hot sauce after trying it at a restaurant. It had a fire-roasted flavor I loved. Unfortunately, the current price is more than I'm willing to pay, so Frank's and Tobasco pretty much satisfy my needs.

But this thread has got me thinking about making my own. I always have dried peppers in the house, did some research, and they absolutely can be used to make homemade hot sauce. I already use them for chili because they add a nice fire-roasted flavor. Now hot sauce recipes are zipping thru my Christmas-soaked brain. Hmmm...

71hMYwwTOoL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
Decades ago I bought a case of The Pepper Plant California Style original hot sauce after trying it at a restaurant. It had a fire-roasted flavor I loved. Unfortunately, the current price is more than I'm willing to pay, so Frank's and Tobasco pretty much satisfy my needs.

But this thread has got me thinking about making my own. I always have dried peppers in the house, did some research, and they absolutely can be used to make homemade hot sauce. I already use them for chili because they add a nice fire-roasted flavor. Now hot sauce recipes are zipping thru my Christmas-soaked brain. Hmmm...

View attachment 476536
I have some of that.

Reactions: noboundaries
Update: I'm never buying hot sauce again! Threw together an experimental batch of ingredients this morning of a recipe I concocted after thinking about this thread. Found a GREAT base for adding heat. The recipe below was a very mild heat, and had that fire-roasted flavor I love. Surprisingly, had zero spices. Not even salt!

My imagination is going crazy with fire-roasted, habaneros, jalapeños, etc.

Roasted Pepper Onion Garlic Hot Sauce-Mild

Total experiment on my part with stuff I had on hand . Was going to use balsamic vinegar, but some folks online say balsamic overpowers the flavors. Rice wine vinegar is recommended to avoid overpowering the vegetable flavors.

IT WAS INCREDIBLE!

Made about a cup.

Ingredients
4 dried peppers (Guajillo, ancho, etc)
Olive oil
10 cherry tomatoes, halved and broiled
½ onion, small, yellow, sliced and broiled
3 cloves garlic, smashed and broiled
2 Tbs rice wine vinegar

Directions
Remove seeds from peppers.
Place peppers in a hot fry pan for two minutes a side to activate the oils.
Place peppers in a saucpan and add just enough boiling water to cover the peppers. Cover the pan and let soak for 20 mins to reconstitute the peppers.

Spray a small baking pan with oil. Add the tomatoes (skin side up), garlic, and onions. Turn the broiler to high and char.
Drain the peppers but save the water if needed to thin the sauce.
Place the charred veggies, vinegar, and reconstituted peppers in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add chili water to thin if necessary.

Taste for desired flavor. Add garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, cloves, alspice, 5-spice, turmeric, and/or cumin as needed (Nothing was needed. Amazing!)

Seal and cool overnight in the fridge. Taste again for adjustments.

The dried peppers I used.
20201223_101003.jpg

Veggies ready to char, then the light char.
20201223_094710.jpg

20201223_095634.jpg

Peppers being reconstituted.
20201223_095045.jpg

And the final result. I did not thin it. It had the consistency of a rough ketchup.
20201223_100454.jpg

Last edited:
20201224_092757.jpg

Breakfast burrito with the new hot sauce. Homemade black bean spread, havarti cheese, eggs, tater tots, and the sauce. My wife loved it.

Next batch will be doubled, then blended half mild for her, and half with a seeded and roasted habanero for me.

Secret Aardvark habanero sauce for me. Not only do I love the taste, they are also a local company to me.

SmartSelect_20201224-120321_Firefox.jpg

Just wanted to pass some info on...JJ

I got 2 QUARTS of Tapatio Hot sauce, Cheaper than 1- 5oz Bottle on the Walmart website. Search, " 2 pack Tapatio Hot Sauce, 32 ounce ". The single Quart bottle is crazy cheap but, currently, has very low stock. I find Tapatio on the Salty side but would make a great Wing Sauce.

My New " Where You Been all my Life! " Spicy Asian Food, Rice, Assorted Veg, Salad and Egg, Topping...

LAO GAN MA SPICY CHILE CRISP HOT SAUCE!

Not really a Sauce but a Crisp Chile and Oil topping with crispy bits of Fried Chile, Fried Shallot, Fried Garlic, Fried Soy Beans, and more! This stuff is pure Chile FLAVOR accented with other flavors that makes anything I've put it on taste great!
The Heat level is what I would call a Warming Heat rather than Hot. Although, I would say, kids and folks with a Low tolerance might find it too spicy and Chile Heads would think it Mother's Milk. ☺

SAFETY CAUTION! Loa Gan Ma, Spicy Chile Crisp, should Not be confused with Loa Gan Ma Fried Chile in Oil! This jar looks Very Similar, is $4 cheaper, but contains PEANUTS!
It is a bit Spicier, with no Garlic or Shallot and more Oil.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is crazy cheap. It's only $0.88 for a 12.5oz bottle at the local Walmart!...JJ

Ok, my Wife brought home a bottle of Original and Hotter, Valentina's...Really Great! Nice Chile Flavor and Heat. Its very well balance, not too Sour or Salty. The Chile flavor really shines. 1MoreFord 1MoreFord and tallbm tallbm Thanks so much for the heads up. I'll be cooking with the Tapatio until it's gone, but Valentina's is my new GoTo, for flavor, price and Availability out here in Rural PA...JJ

Reactions: 1MoreFord
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky