What would you do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Drifter27

Original poster
Apr 11, 2021
Dillons had pork butts on sale for a dollar a pound, 2/3rds off so we got 15, between 8 and 10lbs. Im doing 3 Sunday and there will be an abundance of leftovers.

Do you smoke a pork butt differently knowing it will be for leftovers only and what do you do different? And what do you make with leftovers? We like pulled pork burritos with scrambled egg and cheese and wife is determined to can some of it but I'd love to know what you all do with it

I’ve packaged the left over and froze it. Later you can thaw it out and use it anyway you’d like. Worked great for me. We never can finish a whole butt.

We make all kinds of things with it from nachos to sandwiches or just sliced and served.

Reactions: JLeonard
Dillons had pork butts on sale for a dollar a pound, 2/3rds off so we got 15, between 8 and 10lbs. Im doing 3 Sunday and there will be an abundance of leftovers.

Do you smoke a pork butt differently knowing it will be for leftovers only and what do you do different? And what do you make with leftovers? We like pulled pork burritos with scrambled egg and cheese and wife is determined to can some of it but I'd love to know what you all do with it
Nachos !

I smoke it with a foil pan underneath to catch all the juice. Smoke it as regular. Foil, rest, and pull. When it cools I mix the juice from the pan back into the pulled pork. No sauces rather just the meat and juice. Then I vacuum pack and freeze. It's awful darn good out of the freezer this way. In a taste test I doubt anyone could tell the difference between frozen and the thawed reheated.

Just smoke all three until they pull. A me as smoking one butt. You can portion, 1 lb bags works here, then flatten and freeze them. Pull what you need for yoir future meals or recipes.
Gary mentioned my Finishing Sauce, so here you go...JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

Other Stuff i make withe Smoked Pork...

Pork Chili Verde

2C Diced Onion
1C DicedTomatillo (3-4) or Tomatillo Salsa
1/4C Fine Diced Jalapeno
1/4C Fine Diced Garlic
3T Bacon Grease

Saute above until tender and add next 10 ingredients.

4-5Lbs Smoked Pork Butt, coarse chopped or pulled.
4-5lbs Fresh Green Chiles, Roasted, Peeled and Chopped. Or 3 - 27oz Canned Whole Green Chiles, drained and chopped.
2T Soy Sauce
1T Ground Ancho or Guajillo, or Pascilla or Dark Chili Powder
1T Grnd Cumin
1T Mexican Oregano
1T Grated Piloncillo or Brown Sugar
2tsp Grnd Black Pepper
1tsp Kosher Salt
1tsp Grnd Coriander Seed
1-2C Chicken Stock, or as needed.
1/2C Masa Harina or Fine Corn meal.
Optional: 1 1/2Lb " C " Size New or Red Potatoes, halved.

Bring Chili to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
Skim off Grease and reserve 1/4Cup.
Combine Grease with Masa in a small pan over low heat. Stir together, 1-2 minutes to make a Roux.
Gently whisk the Masa Roux into the Chili Verde and stir in well.
Add Potatoes if using.
Simmer an additional hour or until desired thickness.
Serve garnished as desired. Makes about 1 Gallon.

Garnish:
Chopped Cilantro
Chopped Green Onions
Crema or Sour Cream

Smokin' Butt Red Chili

4-5lb Smoked Pork Butt
3C Chopped Onion
2T Minced Garlic
Evoo as needed
4-4oz Cans Chopped Green Chilies, Old El paso or 1lb Fresh Green Chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped
12oz Tomato Paste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1/2C Dark Chili Powder or Ground Mixed Dry Chiles.
2T New Mex Chili Powder or Smoked Paprika
1T Mex Oregano
1T Grnd Cumin
1tsp Grnd Allspice
1tsp Grnd Cinnamon
1tsp Cayenne or to taste, this is Mild.
1tsp Black Pepper
2T Beef Base or Bouillon
2-28oz cans Diced Tomatoes
12oz Favorite Beer

Optional...2-4 14oz cans Beans of choice, drained and rinsed.

This Chili mild. For Actual Smoke add 1 Can Chipotle in Adobo, pureed and/or 3-4tsp's Cayenne or Crushed Red Pepper flakes for HOT.

Saute onions in evoo until golden add garlic and tomato paste and saute until starting to brown.
Add brn sugar and all spices, saute about 5 minutes to awaken flavors.
Add the Green Chilies,Tomatoes, Beer, Base and Pulled Pork. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until flavors combine and Chili is reduced to desired thickness.
Add Beans if using and continue to simmer until hot.
Adjust seasoning and Serve.
I would Smoke the Butt to 180*F IT and cube it then let it finish to falling apart in the Chili.
Good stuff enjoy...JJ

I smoked a 9# the other week. After resting it, I wrapped up really well and put in the fridge until the next day. I cut varying size slices and grilled some which were fantastic. Also cut thinner slices and tossed on the Blackstone for a really good sear. Man, those things were good.

I think I like doing this rather than pulling it. At least it was a different way of serving it up.

Just a suggestion, but I would cook two of the butts until they can be pulled, about 200℉ or so. The third one I'd pull off at around 155℉-160℉ and make pork burnt ends with it.

As others have said, leftovers freeze well..

I make cajun pulled pork and grits. Works great with frozen pulled pork. That will be my goto bbq item for awhile after oral surgery since I will be on the soft/mush diet for a few months.

Reactions: Drifter27
Thanks for the replies, sounds like I will cook them like normal. I like GonnaSmoke's idea of burnt ends, im going to try that sometime soon, maybe when we settle on a rub and sauce. Which this time is absolutely going to be JimmyJ's recipie, that sounds delicious. Thanks again

Pulled pork right out of the smoker is like eating potato chips. Just can't stop myself. With enough moisture added to the pulled in the vacuum bag, sealed, and frozen it's almost as good to me as it is right out of the smoker. Just the pork and juice vacuum packed and frozen. Add any finishing/bbq sauces after thawing.

Reactions: Drifter27
Haha tell that to a woman that likes to can and freeze dry

Eta: chef Jimmy's finishing sauce is delicious

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky