What wine goes with smoked brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You really should get an idea for what kind of wine they generally like. If you show up with a Shiraz for two people that are welded to say Moscato, you're gonna have an issue. A bit of homework is required for a better answer :-)

I know folks have the pairing thing in mind and I think about that sometimes too. But in the end any wine that people like is good. A hot summer day sometimes calls for a big bold red or a nice chilled white. But if they get brisket, anything works!

Reactions: zwiller
I'm all for a Malbec, Pino Noir (not Grigio), a real Zinfandel (NOT White Zinfandel) or a Shiraz/Syrah.

If they only drink whites or only drink "sweet" wines then buy them a real German Riesling. Riesling stands up to spicy food so it should work for a brisket that has a good amount of black pepper and some other nice flavors but wouldn't be my preference over the reds listed above.

Outside of that they can bring their own wines if they are that picky lol.
I took a course on wine in college as an elective... drank lots of wine, learned quite a bit, and had a blast in that class hahaha!

Reactions: schlotz
I'm all for a Malbec, Pino Noir (not Grigio), a real Zinfandel (NOT White Zinfandel) or a Shiraz/Syrah.
Sound advice.

Bbq brisket being smoky and fatty has a strong flavor to complete with. You want either some bold and tannic to standup to it or soft and fruity to complement. What wood did you use and how did you season.

And as hinted above, are they wine lovers, or do they just love wine?

Alternatively, cider works well as does a sparkling like prosecco or cava.

Red Cabernet, Shiraz, Malbec or Zinfadel (RED) Now that only gets you halfway there. There are great, good and so-so versions of each and to top off the selection question, individual taste preferences and year produced are also in play. Regardless of red, white, dry or sweet I would suggest asking what their favorite wines are? You are looking for a type (above), producer, and year if at all possible.

Going by the "book" big reds are perfect pairing for brisket. Yet, that's irrelevant if they have their specific preferances.

I, for one, like Sauvignon Blanc with anything: fatty meat, lean meat, beef, pork, fish and cheese.

Reactions: patinlouisiana
Reds are the classic beef pairing. I am by no means a wine steward but took a short class on reds and found a little gem. Chilean reds. Most are fermented and aged in SS and not oak and this retains much more fruit flavor. A sure eye opener for one who has never tasted one. That said, a good beer in a proper glass is every bit as elegant and tasty as wine. Any guest at my house gets a glass. Many cool glasses for beer can be had at the dollar store. The one in my avatar was...

Reactions: earl610
Excuse me, pardon me, coming through! (I'm elbowing y way through you beer drinkers)

With a fatty cut of meat, you need to look for a wine that is higher in tannins, to cut through the fattiness. And you'll need something bold to stand up to the meat and rubs you use.

A nice Cabernet Sauvignon is always a crowd pleaser. It's not too bold, and not too light, and generally pairs well with most anything.

For something higher in tannins, go for a Malbec or a Shiraz from Australia.

For something a little different that guests may not have heard of before, and a conversation starter, go for a Carménère from Chile. (Purple Angel is amazing!)

Reactions: earl610
Drink what you like. A Pinot Noir to match the doneness texture of your successful brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky