What to Smoke for Large Group (40 ppl) MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johngolf01

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
Having a big (to us) party and will need to be feeding lots of mouths. Want to do something easy (low and slow).

Currently planning on doing 4 large Pork Butts which always turn out well and please.

I've done Pork Butts for this people in this group several times in the past though.
Also have done a ton of Sous Vide Beef Roasts as well, so would like to steer away from that.

Looking for alternate recommendations.

I've seen those huge Beef Knuckles(beef round tip 2), that I believe I could smoke to 205 f similar to a pork Butt and make pulled beef. Never messed with that cut though. Maybe I'll do 2 pork butts and 2 beef knuckles.

Any other thoughts?

I've done several slabs of baby back ribs a couple of times for a group of 20+/- and no one seemed to be disappointed? Potato salad, Coldslaw, 100 variations of baked/BBQ beans, Relish tray with pickled Okra, pickles, olives, cheeses, ect............... Use a good rub like Meat Church Honey Hog & mix up a batch of good ole KC style BBQ sauce. That's a hit around my group any occasion!

I've done several slabs of baby back ribs a couple of times for a group of 20+/- and no one seemed to be disappointed? Potato salad, Coldslaw, 100 variations of baked/BBQ beans, Relish tray with pickled Okra, pickles, olives, cheeses, ect............... Use a good rub like Meat Church Honey Hog & mix up a batch of good ole KC style BBQ sauce. That's a hit around my group any occasion!

Definitely have the sides covered, my job is just the main entree.

Thought about Ribs... Just dont think I have the room in my MES 30 to get enuff done. Probably could squeeze in 8 slabs, but doubt much more....

Yah, probably time to upgrade, but that's another topic all in itself.

Not sure how big your smoker is, but i cook for a party every year that's around 40 people.

We did a 125lb pig one year. It was a big hit.

Edit: just saw you're using a MES 30. Loading that u with 4 butts is really going to be a struggle with that smoker without having a PID controlling it.

I have a MES 30 and tried just what you're attempting and it just couldn't keep up. Maybe use the mes for the first 4 hours or so (set at 275) then finish them all in the oven. Just too much thermal mass for that smoker

Not sure how big your smoker is, but i cook for a party every year that's around 40 people.

We did a 125lb pig one year. It was a big hit.

Edit: just saw you're using a MES 30. Loading that u with 4 butts is really going to be a struggle with that smoker without having a PID controlling it.

I have a MES 30 and tried just what you're attempting and it just couldn't keep up. Maybe use the mes for the first 4 hours or so (set at 275) then finish them all in the oven. Just too much thermal mass for that smoker
Good input. I've done 2 butts before with no issues.... never tried 4... if I go that route I'll pay close attention....

Would love to do the PIG but we just moved and still sorting things out. Would rather not go the rental route for a spit or large smoker right now.

Could always just fire up 2 or 3 butts in the MES 30 and sous vide some large beef cuts to supplement...

I like your idea for both pulled pork and beef. When I first joined here pulled beef sounded like the strangest thing but I tried it and it is great. Agree with fivetricks fivetricks that's a huge job for the MES. I'd do butts one time and knuckles another. Pull (I chop), and put into containers or vac seal and freeze if gig is a week plus. If your butts aren't exciting people anymore, change up your game. You have an AMNPS? Do you form pellicle? Inject? What wood? All of these can take PP to several levels beyond typical.

I like your idea for both pulled pork and beef. When I first joined here pulled beef sounded like the strangest thing but I tried it and it is great. Agree with fivetricks fivetricks that's a huge job for the MES. I'd do butts one time and knuckles another. Pull (I chop), and put into containers or vac seal and freeze if gig is a week plus. If your butts aren't exciting people anymore, change up your game. You have an AMNPS? Do you form pellicle? Inject? What wood? All of these can take PP to several levels beyond typical.
Yep...^^^^^^that...
I'll also add that a finishing sauce can bring that little something extra that turns great pulled pork to outstanding pulled pork. The extra flavor profile from an acidic element brings more layers of flavor for the taste buds.

I have 2 large butts in the smokehouse now. Cooking them today for a party tomorrow. Going to make pulled pork tacos with them. When I pull them, I plan on adding some fresh squeezed orange and lime juice to them and maybe a little sugar To push the flavor towards a traditional carnitas. Should work out well.

TURKEY BREAST! If you are handy with a knife, you can remove the Lobes, about 3 pounds each, from the rib bones and arrange them 3 to a rack in your 30. 2 hours or so at 250 to an IT of 155 then a rest. You will get Fork Tender, Juicy Goodness. You can Spatchcock or Smoke As Is if you wish but the cook time will be 3- 4 hours.

6oz × 40 = 240 ÷ 16 = 15 lbs ÷ .6 yield on the bone = 25 pound Turkey Breast.
Last one I made was 8 pounds so 4 should get the job done. You can even give them a couple of days bath in Pop's Brine. Gives a mild Hammy Flavor...JJ

Reactions: tallbm
Definitely my PP has always been a people pleaser, perhaps I'm just getting bored with it

Like the idea of trying different finishing sauces.

I do use the AMNPS. Hickory has been my go to lately. Have not formed a pellicle (I do that for fish) or injected one yet. I usually season night before and wrap in saran wrap.

Yep...^^^^^^that...
I'll also add that a finishing sauce can bring that little something extra that turns great pulled pork to outstanding pulled pork. The extra flavor profile from an acidic element brings more layers of flavor for the taste buds.

I have 2 large butts in the smokehouse now. Cooking them today for a party tomorrow. Going to make pulled pork tacos with them. When I pull them, I plan on adding some fresh squeezed orange and lime juice to them and maybe a little sugar To push the flavor towards a traditional carnitas. Should work out well.
Sounds tasty! Might do the pork butts ahead of time and make several pans of enchiladas....cheeses red or green sauce and corn tortillas.

TURKEY BREAST! If you are handy with a knife, you can remove the Lobes, about 3 pounds each, from the rib bones and arrange them 3 to a rack in your 30. 2 hours or so at 250 to an IT of 155 then a rest. You will get Fork Tender, Juicy Goodness. You can Spatchcock or Smoke As Is if you wish but the cook time will be 3- 4 hours.

6oz × 40 = 240 ÷ 16 = 15 lbs ÷ .6 yield on the bone = 25 pound Turkey Breast.
Last one I made was 8 pounds so 4 should get the job done. You can even give them a couple of days bath in Pop's Brine. Gives a mild Hammy Flavor...JJ
Love this ides! Recently did some Turkey drums with pops brine and smoked them to 180T. Talk Bout good!!!

+1 on the pork butts.
Just start the day before and let em run at 250-260 until they’re done
(once you stop smoking actively, close the vent and your temp control will be much easier if you can fit 4, you can cook 4, it may be in your best interest to put a foil pan on the bottom rack, bent to fit with a little gap around the edges, because the drippings from 4 butts will overwhelm that little bitty drip tray quickly, and your significant other will lament the condition of your driveway. )

Take em off and pull them, add the finishing sauce of your choice and put them in aluminum disposable hotel pans covered with foil. If you need to hold them, do it in a 160 degree oven and they’ll keep just fine for 12-24 hrs.

I will add apple juice if I need to keep them in a crock pot for serving over any significant time (best not to exceed “warm” unless you are reheating)

If the fat starts to seperate out, a little mustard or lecithin mixed in with the apple juice will keep it in suspension and make your meat much more appealing.

Last edited:
I’d do the butts ahead of time ... forgiving and indistinguishable next day except maybe bark softening.

Then maybe multiple racks of wings for short same day cook, or even two rounds. If you have a deep fryer could also try smoking them ahead then a quick freshen/finish/crisp in the deep fryer(?)
Haven’t tried that yet but on my list.

I have, it works well!
(If you happen to be doing briskets concurrently, render the trimmed fat at 275 or so in something like peanut oil, and then use the resultant oil to do wings and fries.
Wow....

Reactions: johngolf01
I have, it works well!
(If you happen to be doing briskets concurrently, render the trimmed fat at 275 or so in something like peanut oil, and then use the resultant oil to do wings and fries.
Wow....
That sounds good!

Love this ides! Recently did some Turkey drums with pops brine and smoked them to 180T. Talk Bout good!!!
I do the same with chicken thighs . Cure with Pop's , smoke to 190 ( or so ) then pull it for sandwiches . So good like you said , and a good value .
cured.jpg

Man there is a lot of good advice in this thread!

If doing 4 pork butts I was going to cast my vote for doing 2 ahead of time and then reheating, nothing will be lost in the reheat if you have them well wrapped in foil. Reheat hole and shred when they hit about 165-175F.

I was also going to add my 2 cents about making a pork butt variety. You have some for bbq sandwiches, have some for tacos, and nachos! Season them all with a good base like Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika. When you shred them mix in a little ground cumin, chili powder, and some lime juice. Have fresh limes quartered (or full on wedged out) for people to squeeze on the tacos and nacho's for additional flavor.

I like the turkey recommendation a lot! Turkey is one of my favorite smoked bbq items that people may not even know about.

Finally, if you want to get a simple and amazing beef component you can always do smoked meat loaf!!!
I wouldn't make a giant one but a few that are no bigger than 3 pounds each. You could do these ahead of time and if you use a good base recipe you will blow people away!!! They can make bbq meatloaf sandwiches, eat as meatloaf, and I still love to put brown gravy on mine and eat with mash potatoes and green beans.

Anyhow I seconded a lot of the already mentioned options, added my $0.02 cents, and offered up the meat loaf. I think you have some good options here and more to come with all of the great posts that are happening in this thread :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky