What to Smoke for Large Group (40 ppl) MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
meatloaf sandwiches,
Smoked meatloaf is so good , and something new for at least a few of your guest I would think .
I like to keep the ground beef the size of a slider bun . So I roll it to size , wrap in foil to keep the shape , cook til it's set . Then un wrap and finish . Cross cut and put on the buns . Always a hit .

Thanks a lot everyone for all the great recipes and ideas!
+1 on the pork butts.
Just start the day before and let em run at 250-260 until they’re done
(once you stop smoking actively, close the vent and your temp control will be much easier if you can fit 4, you can cook 4, it may be in your best interest to put a foil pan on the bottom rack, bent to fit with a little gap around the edges, because the drippings from 4 butts will overwhelm that little bitty drip tray quickly, and your significant other will lament the condition of your driveway. )

Take em off and pull them, add the finishing sauce of your choice and put them in aluminum disposable hotel pans covered with foil. If you need to hold them, do it in a 160 degree oven and they’ll keep just fine for 12-24 hrs.

I will add apple juice if I need to keep them in a crock pot for serving over any significant time (best not to exceed “warm” unless you are reheating)

If the fat starts to seperate out, a little mustard or lecithin mixed in with the apple juice will keep it in suspension and make your meat much more appealing.
Ok, I may give 4 a shot after all. Taking the day before off so will leave time if run into trouble. I've held butts in a cooler before, and with 4 I'm sure they would hold for 4 to 6 hours easy.

I do the same with chicken thighs . Cure with Pop's , smoke to 190 ( or so ) then pull it for sandwiches . So good like you said , and a good value .
View attachment 395798
That sounds tasty. My local grocery store sometimes has Turkey drums for $1.50 a pop. Cant beat that.... been meaning to try turkey thighs also. Havent tried with chicken yet - will try soon.

That sounds tasty. My local grocery store sometimes has Turkey drums for $1.50 a pop. Cant beat that.... been meaning to try turkey thighs also. Havent tried with chicken yet - will try soon.

I do both cured drums and thighs but I prefer the thighs.

Pretty much promise that it will work.

Allow 16 hrs (but 12 will probably be ok), rotate the racks once halfway through (just take em out and change positions so you don"t pull off the fat cap) and remember that once they hit tender (blade is loose) nothing too portentious is really going to change for about 6 hours even if you leave the smoker at 260.

Remember the curse of the drippings though. Even if you choose to forgo the internal drip pan, at least put the smoker in your lawn, or put something under it to catch the mess.

If they're done early, pull em and do the finishing sauce of your choice. Hold them in the 160 oven in a foil covered foil pan, and nothing but good will happen.

If the fat starts to seperate out, a little mustard or lecithin mixed in with the apple juice will keep it in suspension and make your meat much more appealing.

That gives me a great idea... Do you use lecithin often? Any more info? THANKS

I use it a fair amount. It doesn't taste like anything much, it's cheap and readily available at most health food or organic-type stores, is pretty heat stable, and it does a great job of keeping fat in suspension. (It also lets you make killer vinaigrettes.)

A little bit goes a long way.

Reactions: zwiller
Never tried. It works in things that have been brought to a boil, and, like I said, it doesn’t really have any taste or color. The stuff I use is Soy lecithin, but I think it’s just phosphatidylcholine and nothing else. (Same chemical in mustard/egg yolks that works as an emulsifier)
I don’t inject butts as a general rule, briskets get a sort of thinned Demi-glacé and chickens I do with ghee in which I have sautéed garlic and herbs de Provence.
Only thing that I have shot up with an emulsion was turkey, and I just used a little mustard to keep the apple juice and butter together enough to get it into the syringe.
What are you thinking?

You're pretty much spot on my thoughts: injecting an emulsion, especially on lean meats. RE: butts. Slowly built an injection recipe for them based on Mixon's with STPP and works awesome. I used DaveOmak/Mariankis method % by weight. Highly recommend trying injecting them. Your injections sound good! Soy lecithin dissolves in liquid, right?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky