• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

what to do with dead freezer?

gdp

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 18, 2019
So I have a 14 ft3 freezer that died, freon leaking, and before I have it hauled away wanted to see if there is a use for it. For smoking or anything else you guys have thought of. Thanks for the comments in advance, as always!

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Use it to store horse feed or other stuff in it, cant leave outside but bugs/rodents wont get into it

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Its foam filled and you wont be able to gut it with very good results

JRT

Joined Aug 21, 2019
If the freezer is in reasonable good shape, it is really easy to recover it for use as a freezer again. That is assuming the compressor has not failed. A Freon leak is not difficult or expensive to repair

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Some Freon leaks cant be fixed, depending on the freezer it may run $400-$700 to repair, in a lot of cases the unit can be replaced as cheap as a repair, I work on them daily for a living.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
If it is a upright with a metal interior it will make a dandy smoker.
Plastic liner and chest type is good for the garbage. I'm lucky and can dispose for free.
Don't think about repair if more than 20 years old.
As mike243 mike243 mentioned the cost, the efficiency has improved, too.

gdp

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 18, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys. It's a 18 yr old Frigidaire "commercial" upright freezer that's been good to me but almost lost an elk and 2 deer meat from this year. Luckily caught it at 28 degrees and saved the meat. My son would have killed me 'cause the elk and 1 deer was his :) All the components are working, blowing 67 deg air so I'm sure the seal on the compressor went out. Not interested in fixing with it this old. I wasn't sure how to make a smoker but from your comments found the walls to be steel with plastic around the front edge and foam insulation. Plus my HOA will put me in jail if they see an old fridge smoking outside! I have another identical one, 1 year newer, that I'll replace next spring plus a larger new one now if Home Depot comes thru with the 20 ft3 they say they have. Turns out that freezers are the current hoarding/short supply items now.
PS if anyone in the Denver area wants it, come and get it. Home Depot will haul it away on Saturday.

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
FYI , a chest freezer will hold food longer due to the design, use milk crates to separate the different foods, having no added heat due to self defrost and all the cold air falling out when the door is opened helps alot. down side is takes more floor space

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Some folks will use them to store stuff in... With a small heat source, it will keep things from freezing during the winter... Dry, warm, rodent free storage...

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
a larger new one now if Home Depot comes thru with the 20 ft3 they say they have. Turns out that freezers are the current hoarding/short supply items now.
Freezers generally not available around here from May until October.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.