What precautions are you taking for Corona Virus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Ray, Sorry to hear about the FIL. Not a good time for that to happen, although never is a good time. This morning I had a Gut Pain that felt just like the Gall bladder attack I had 6 years ago. I thought, Oh Great time to have to go to the Hospital. However the pain subsided since. Shame this crap isn't a Hoax, like we were told, and the "Sky actually is falling a little more each day", thanks to a lack of urgency. Take Care, Bear

Yeah, it's pretty rough times Bear, that's for sure. The old guy said he didn't want to spend the night in the hospital and got himself home last night around 11. I'm kind of impressed that he can still get himself to the hospital and back home in a pinch, he usually wants my wife to do everything for him. I'm not sure what's going to happen with him, he's falling down regularly, sooner or later he'll hit his head. We just cancelled doctor and dentist appointments for a few months out, I want to give this thing a little time to see if it settles down a bit. Glad your belly cleared up, good time to just stay home. RAY

Last edited:
Reactions: Will Squared
Son had to go get a tax waiver this morning to get plates for a new car . Had to quiz in and get temp taken .
606325362.jpg

Butte County Nor Cal here.

Went on a grocery run.
Our Raleys lets us order online then they put the list together and run it out to your truck. You make an appointment for pickup.
Order today (Tuesday) pickup on Saturday.

Ran by our Smart & Final and grabbed two 20lb twin bags of briquets...
80 lb.
Am I hoarding?
I left some...

All of us old timers could be recognized by our face masks and blue gloves.
You should be proud of yourself for leaving some. I went to GFS this morning and no one left any of the twin packs of butt. I got the last single of shoulder....
We're not wearing masks and gloves here. Yet.

Here in Oregon we are not in an official lock down yet. Schools, bars, restaurants are closed until the end of April. Restaurants/bars can offer take out or delivery just no dine in.

I work for a small Architecture firm. 3 employees, all with separate offices. Still working however we have halted in office meetings for 2-4 weeks. Which is fine because we can handle meetings online and over the phone easily.

The grocery stores were hit hard and most non perishable items can't be found. Meat departments are looted too, except for the expensive cuts. Also pepper bacon, for some reason no one wants pepper bacon. Onions, potatoes and squash are all gone. Intersting looking at what people have bought or didn't buy.

We did not need to stockpile as we always have a good supply in the pantry and the freezer. I do wish I'd picked up a few more onions, crackers, and chips. We never have lots of snack items in the house and those would be nice.

We are fine on TP. Unlike the rest of the masses I guess we don't need 90 rolls a month.

As much as I want to support the local restaurants I also want to limit exposure so having other people prepare my food is out.

I feel horrible for those that have been laid off. It is going to take us a really longtime to financially come out of this. Many may not and lots of small businesses are going to shutter. I know that we are tightening or purse strings and will be only spending money on essential items for survival.

Stay Safe SMF and f you can afford it keep on smoking!

Here in Oregon we are not in an official lock down yet. Schools, bars, restaurants are closed until the end of April. Restaurants/bars can offer take out or delivery just no dine in.

I work for a small Architecture firm. 3 employees, all with separate offices. Still working however we have halted in office meetings for 2-4 weeks. Which is fine because we can handle meetings online and over the phone easily.

The grocery stores were hit hard and most non perishable items can't be found. Meat departments are looted too, except for the expensive cuts. Also pepper bacon, for some reason no one wants pepper bacon. Onions, potatoes and squash are all gone. Intersting looking at what people have bought or didn't buy.

We did not need to stockpile as we always have a good supply in the pantry and the freezer. I do wish I'd picked up a few more onions, crackers, and chips. We never have lots of snack items in the house and those would be nice.

We are fine on TP. Unlike the rest of the masses I guess we don't need 90 rolls a month.

As much as I want to support the local restaurants I also want to limit exposure so having other people prepare my food is out.

I feel horrible for those that have been laid off. It is going to take us a really longtime to financially come out of this. Many may not and lots of small businesses are going to shutter. I know that we are tightening or purse strings and will be only spending money on essential items for survival.

Stay Safe SMF and f you can afford it keep on smoking!
Looking on the brightside though......you have a cannon

Reactions: Brokenhandle
sawhorseray sawhorseray , sorry to hear about your FIL... John

Thanks John, I guess if someone is fortunate enough to live that long there's going to be a few bumps in the road. He doesn't want to move to a care home, we'll see how things go I reckon.

On the bright side I just scored a couple of onions, couple of peppers, and a head of iceberg at Safeway! I was hoping for a head of cabbage to make some slaw, but was happy enough just to grab a couple of nice onions while some woman was trying to stuff all the potatoes on the shelf into her cart. I laughed and told her she was a pig. I once again made the five minute drive home without touching my face, that takes a conscious effort. I was up at five this morning to throw a couple more cured salmon fillets onto the SQ36, all done with my last batch of Smokin' Al's lox recipe for the year. Got a rack of ribs all thawed for tomorrow, time to make some rub. RAY

Wow, that is absolutely terrible! Obviously someone monitoring your coming and going, you're right, everyone is a zombie.

My 94 year-old FIL took a spill at the senior living place he's at, second time in a week. They shuttled him to the ER down the block, x-rays show for cracked ribs and something bad with his shoulder. They put him in a bed for the night in the hospital, he'll get shuttled back to his senior living facility sometime today. The facility is on quarantine lockdown, my wife can't even get in to see him, looks like he'll be quarantined to his room for a couple of weeks. This couldn't have happened at a worse time, my wife is now looking into care homes for the old guy. Of course care homes aren't going to be letting strangers come in to check things out with what's going on. Just when we thought all we had to do was stay home and ride this out, the sky falls. RAY

Sorry to hear that Ray. Hoping for the best. . .

Well we're not doing much different than normal.
Miss Linda is retired and is spending a lot more time at home--we're on 10 acres out in the bush. And I,'m still out in the bush hauling 80 ft long logs to the mill.
We just butchered a pig so meat is no problem, and there are lots of deer around.
Gotta feel srrry for those fools hoarding toilet paper. Obviously they've lived a sheltered life and never had to wipe their butt with a big leaf. LOL
Our gov't has said they expect 90,000 deaths in Canada. If that turkey in Ottawa says 90k we can probably expect a quarter million.
Stay safe.
Gary

Well we're not doing much different than normal.
Miss Linda is retired and is spending a lot more time at home--we're on 10 acres out in the bush. And I,'m still out in the bush hauling 80 ft long logs to the mill.
We just butchered a pig so meat is no problem, and there are lots of deer around.
Gotta feel srrry for those fools hoarding toilet paper. Obviously they've lived a sheltered life and never had to wipe their butt with a big leaf. LOL
Our gov't has said they expect 90,000 deaths in Canada. If that turkey in Ottawa says 90k we can probably expect a quarter million.
Stay safe.
Gary
Wow, I know this thing has a long way to go yet, but 90,000?
Went to the store(Target) today to fix up for the next few days (I've been trying to stay in for 3 -5 days) and as I was walking in I saw 4 carts coming out all loaded with TP. (?) I read that when the shtf in Venezuela the first thing they ran out of was TP. Now I know why.
I'ts been winter and there aren't a lot of leaves around here :-)
Be safe up there, Northern friend..

Thanks John, I guess if someone is fortunate enough to live that long there's going to be a few bumps in the road. He doesn't want to move to a care home, we'll see how things go I reckon.

On the bright side I just scored a couple of onions, couple of peppers, and a head of iceberg at Safeway! I was hoping for a head of cabbage to make some slaw, but was happy enough just to grab a couple of nice onions while some woman was trying to stuff all the potatoes on the shelf into her cart. I laughed and told her she was a pig. I once again made the five minute drive home without touching my face, that takes a conscious effort. I was up at five this morning to throw a couple more cured salmon fillets onto the SQ36, all done with my last batch of Smokin' Al's lox recipe for the year. Got a rack of ribs all thawed for tomorrow, time to make some rub. RAY
Really, I have not found an issue with veggies/beef and most other things here. Yes, TP bottled water and chicken is void but most other things are fine.

We went through the medicine cabinet and replenished what we might need, got 2 months of prescriptions. We have 1/3 of a cow and a some moose meat so red meat isn’t an issue. Frozen vegetables must be hanging out with the TP where ever that is. Our local grocer was started limiting items so that should help.

Use your latex bbq gloves when going to shops, take off carefully when done and discard.

If no sanitizer available, Use home brew sanitiser or baby bottle sanitiser in a spray bottle. spray Your hands or anything else, if using on hands, wait and rinse.

just picked up 4 kg of Sodium Percarbonate, non toxic and is a steriliser.

Jabiru, I just received my Star San that I had ordered 2 weeks ago for sanitizing my equipment for making salami. I was planning on using it on my hands Once it arrived.
I'd really think twice about that, Starsan kills bacteria, not viruses.
You're much better off using a spray bottle full of water with an oz of Dawn dish soap then wipe off with paper towels. Soap and water work better than hand sanitizer for killing the Coronavirus and other viruses because it eats away the fats to hold the virus together which kills it. Or you could dilute some bleach into water in a spray bottle.....bleach in soapy water in a spray bottle is what we are using out here.

Just returned from the store here in Chapel Hill, NC. Lots of empty shelves. Fruits and veggies mostly
gone. No ground meat, but several whole beef loins. Bought shrimp instead.
UNC cancels graduation which would normally be on Mothers Day. Lots of workers at home. Many of those live day to day. Very hard on the low wage workers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky