What precautions are you taking for Corona Virus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just returned from the store here in Chapel Hill, NC. Lots of empty shelves. Fruits and veggies mostly
gone. No ground meat, but several whole beef loins. Bought shrimp instead.
UNC cancels graduation which would normally be on Mothers Day. Lots of workers at home. Many of those live day to day. Very hard on the low wage workers.
Yes it is. Being retired, my income is pretty much the same (right now), but I spent many years living day to day or week to week and a few hours lost can be devastating . Washington is taking steps to help, but a check a couple of weeks from now doesn't help if you need food tomorrow.
What a mess....

Reactions: Will Squared
I had my first social interaction tonight in a week. I sat outside with a few of the neighbors and had a few beers. We did the social distancing of six feet. It was a little cold out but nobody cared. It was really nice to not feel isolated and have some fun. It returned some normalcy to our lives. It’s only been a week and all of us are feeling isolated. We decided to make this a regular thing and discussed having cookouts while keeping a safe distance.

Be smart and stay safe

We normally buy meat in bulk when on sale then vacuum seal in packs proportioned for us and freeze them in a couple freezers so we won't starve lol. So all we really need at the grocery store is bread, eggs, coffee creamer, diet pepsi and stuff like that. We hadn't had any confirmed cases in the several counties that are around us until yesterday. We have been distancing ourselves from people since this started other than my wife is a nurse in the emergency department so that increases her risk which in turn raises mine. She has started changing clothes before she comes home and of course washes her hands well just before she leaves there. Being that I'm considered high risk we have decided that if I go to stores I'll wear a N95 mask and disposable gloves but mostly I'll just try to avoid people for the most part and stay on the farm.

We normally buy meat in bulk when on sale then vacuum seal in packs proportioned for us and freeze them in a couple freezers so we won't starve lol. So all we really need at the grocery store is bread, eggs, coffee creamer, diet pepsi and stuff like that. We hadn't had any confirmed cases in the several counties that are around us until yesterday. We have been distancing ourselves from people since this started other than my wife is a nurse in the emergency department so that increases her risk which in turn raises mine. She has started changing clothes before she comes home and of course washes her hands well just before she leaves there. Being that I'm considered high risk we have decided that if I go to stores I'll wear a N95 mask and disposable gloves but mostly I'll just try to avoid people for the most part and stay on the farm.
Heartfelt thanks to your wife and others like her. N95 masks are a thing of the past around here, but I think gloves are a good idea and you can still get them. Some of the groceries around here are opening an hour earlier for seniors only and I may have to get up early tomorrow to get a few things.
A distillery/restaurant here in central Indiana is making hand sanitizer. They had to close the restaurant but they have plenty of high proof alcohol. Available to anyone for no charge. If you can make a donation for the folks in the restaurant out of work, great.
We can get through this together....

Was out today at a couple local food stores..no huge crowds, frozen broccoli out in both but other stuff in stock, even bottled water. What I find funny, Aldi (small German chain coming into this country) had a long lines before they opened and heard even a fight on that line but when I was there at 11 am no lines, civil and fairly well stocked.

I will say, I told my wife her Mercedes is now locked in the garage, not looking to draw any attention to our house.

I hope the hoarders are about stocked up so the grocery stores have some for the rest of us. I have to leave for work before the store opens, and by evening everything I want is gone.

Another precaution to take is think about how many people have touched the screen on the self checkout at the grocery store, As soon as I get home I wash my hands. If you were to pick up the virus on your hands, you are also transferring it to your door handle, steering wheel, gear selector etc. I've heard that the virus lives two day's on surfaces, but I've also heard that even though it lives for two days, it's only contagious for two hours. I'm erring on the side of caution and treating it as two day's. As far as anything in your vehicle, UV rays from the sun kills viruses,so I wonder how long it takes for the sun to kill the viruses.

I want to thank everyone for their responses. This has been a very informative discussion. Lets keep the ideas and reporting coming.

Keep safe.
Steve

Steve we keep a container of disinfecting wipes inside all our vehicles. When we open the door before getting in we grab one wipe our hands, wipe the door handle get in.

Was out today at a couple local food stores..no huge crowds, frozen broccoli out in both but other stuff in stock, even bottled water. What I find funny, Aldi (small German chain coming into this country) had a long lines before they opened and heard even a fight on that line but when I was there at 11 am no lines, civil and fairly well stocked.

I will say, I told my wife her Mercedes is now locked in the garage, not looking to draw any attention to our house.
There have been Aldis around here for years. Small stores good prices. Maybe they're just coming to your area.

My wife says that she is just about ready to Haz Mat Suit Up to make a run to Dollar General for some M&M's...

Louisiana Governor just issued a stay at home order until April 12th...
https://www.wbrz.com/news/governor-issues-stay-at-home-order-starting-monday

Looks like the same for Oregon sometime Monday. Not sure for how long yet. Spring break started Friday and hordes descended on the coast. And then hordes of hoarders hit the local stores of course. Mayors of the towns said go home and shut down motels, campgrounds etc.

As long as I can walk the dog we'll be fine. She gets testy otherwise.

Smart move, our house got hit a few weeks ago...talk about being pissed off at the world.
Between losing all my meat, wild Salmon, wild Halibut , wild hog, elk, deer and all the ducks and geese I killed this season plus my wives sterling silver flatware and my power tools, hand tools and gas powered tools, pressure washer and a bunch of other irreplaceable things.
Protect what is yours, when people run out of money the zombies are really going to come out of the sewers... double tap center mass would be my recommendation. If you don't have cameras on your house now is the time to get them, heck even if it's just a driveway cam. (we didn't have them)

Good luck out there and stay safe.
Dan

Smart move, our house got hit a few weeks ago...talk about being pissed off at the world.
Between losing all my meat, wild Salmon, wild Halibut , wild hog, elk, deer and all the ducks and geese I killed this season plus my wives sterling silver flatware and my power tools, hand tools and gas powered tools, pressure washer and a bunch of other irreplaceable things.
Protect what is yours, when people run out of money the zombies are really going to come out of the sewers... double tap center mass would be my recommendation. If you don't have cameras on your house now is the time to get them, heck even if it's just a driveway cam. (we didn't have them)
Dan,

Sorry to hear about all your possessions being taken.
Those sociopaths are the kind I would like to introduce to "Mr. Glock" if they come to my house!

Take Care,

John

Mr. Glock won't do you any good if you're not at home, which is when most of these scum hit.
On a side note, most of the groceries around here are opening an hour early for seniors only. Commendable but most groceries don't stock overnight anymore. First thing in the morning a lot of things won't be available anyway. What worries me is that it's still dark here at 7am and a bunch of old folks would be easy parking lot pickings for scum.
I carry and always have an eye out but most don't. It's just a matter of time....

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky