What precautions are you taking for Corona Virus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BuckeyeSteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
I’m sure we are all concerned about the COVID-19 outbreak. So other than the obvious washing your hands and social distancing and self quarantine if needed, what other precautions are you taking? We all need to slow the spread of this virus.

One of the things I’m doing is when I go to the store I’m now taking my own reusable bag to put my groceries in, instead of using the basket or cart that who knows how many people have held. I’ve also stocked up on food, not because I’m worried about a food shortage, but to reduce the number of trips to the store, and potentially being exposed to infected people.

So what else should I be doing?

Last edited:
We're just hanging around the house more, watching movies and relaxing. We've got a little more food than we usually do, but not a bunch.

Many decades ago I realized we were running to the grocery store WAY too often. I looked at the food we had in the cabinets and freezer, then told my wife "let's do a little experiment. No grocery store runs except for fresh fruits, veggies, dairy and bread, and bread was optional since we often made our own. We went six weeks before we emptied the cabinets and freezer, often getting real creative.

I can still remember the last meal I made before heading to the store (commissary actually) to restock. I had a package of dried Knorr soup left over from some backpacking trip, a box of pastina noodles, a bit of frozen chopped chicken, and quart jar of home canned tomatoes. I threw it all in a pot and it tasted like crap. Out came the spices, and it turned out friggin' delicious and lasted several more days. We joked about that period and what we called our "Jesus soup" this morning when I came home from the store with some essentials after watching all the hoarders.

To be honest, nothing. And I will apologize now if this gets lengthy. We live in nw iowa and just got home from Rochester Mn. Been there since last Wednesday sitting with my mom at St. Mary's hospital (right beside Mayo ) . Has nothing to do with coronavirus, but she still has a long road ahead of her. Went up to be with her but also with dad, he's 83, mom is 76, and dad is taking off work (still works full time). We live in the country so going to a city is definitely a better chance of being infected especially at a major hospital. Routine was hospital, going out to eat, hotel to sleep and repeat. I have to stay home for work reasons but wife will go back on Monday unless mom gets worse. Now we got there Wednesday night and Thursday morning 5 drs walked into her room (all at the same time) to talk with us, so yes her condition is serious. But not alot to do sitting in hospital room for several days, and I enjoy spending time on here. I can honestly say it was the first time I've been disappointed in this site...actually not the site but some of it's members, for the way that certain people have been disrespectful of others. This site is still awesome and I sent a pm to @pcfarmer telling him how much I appreciated what he was doing, he locked two threads because of the disrespect going on. So I ask of all of you be respectful of others, do what you think is right for yourselves and your familys. If you want to be petty and downgrade others take it elsewhere. Cuz for me and my family there are more pressing and much more important life decisions going on than a panic that may or may not happen . I'm sure it's not just my family either.
Just have to say my dad's not one to show much for emotions, but after we got there he went up to one of the nurses the next day and gave her a hug and told her thank you, cuz she had comforted him the day before and given him a hug.
So please come together and be respectful!

Ryan

So what else should I be doing?

I'll try to get back on topic here Steve and start off with trying not to touch my face until I get home from the store to thoroughly wash my hands. I do have a little bottle of hand sanitizer in my truck that I'll apply the minute I get in it but figure if I can make the five minutes to home without touching my face I'll be that much safer. It's not easy, I had no idea I was touching my face so many times a day without being aware of what I was doing. Other than that self-quarantining, DVD's, books, cooking, and doing little chores around the house in the hope this will pass without us getting it, there really isn't all that much more that can be done. RAY

I still do not get the mass stock up on TP :emoji_laughing:

But the wife and I just stocked up on proteins more than we usually do to limit the trips to the store. We always keep lots of canned veggies and box rice and what not for sides. Also keeping a small stock pile of water on hand. I have around 2 weeks of drinking water just in case things get real hairy.

Stay safe out there!

Reactions: Will Squared
One of the things I’m doing is when I go to the store I’m now taking my own reusable bag to put my groceries in, instead of using the basket or cart that who knows how many people have held.

To be honest, nothing.

First off, thoughts and prayers to your family Ryan. Secondly, like you, we aren't doing much different than we've always done. We always have kept a stock of the essentials around and rarely if ever go out except for a bit of shopping. Yes, we will limit those trips until this starts to turn around. I designed and built our home to be our permanent vacation home so there's no need for us to go anyplace else. We're perfectly happy right here. Yes also, the hand washing is certainly the best proactive approach from the outset. The thing that I'd ask people to please take into account is that we are all different. As such we have different priorities and beliefs. Being raised in the construction industry, which is always hit or miss, feast or famine, I believe in keeping a nice stock of stuff on hand when/if times get lean. That's what my parents did when I was a kid. Those up there is years or with certain health issues will need to take a different approach to protecting themselves than say a 35 year old with no chronic health issues...yet. There is no cut and dried, one-size-fits-all approach to dealing with this mess but we all have an obligation to ourselves and society to act responsibly where potential transmission or exposure is concerned.

I was the Director of Engineering at a large full service Marriott hotel for several years. As such I was also the Life Safety Director by fault. One of my responsibilities was to train the other managers for DEM (Disaster and Emergency Management). I conducted monthly training sessions and would write up different scenarios and people would write down a list of steps to take in order to deal with the scenario I wrote up. Always, and I mean ALWAYS, the very first step is "remain calm". After teaching that for so long it is ingrained in me. I'm not one to get all jumpy over situations and I think that's where some things may have gone a bit awry. Still though, I respect that different people will need to take different approaches to dealing with this. Other than washing hands regularly, I'd say priority number 2, and it's a close second, would to be just limiting your possible exposure to it. If you have a respirator or dust mask, don't be ashamed to wear it when/if you have to go out. You may feel silly doing it, but it's a great precaution to take that you can chuckle over when the smoke clears from this. Mostly, just be smart about things. We are all intelligent people and there's ample information out there that we've all read. Apply what you feel is safest for you.

Like Steve requested, we need to keep this on track please. This is about sharing real information that any or all of us could benefit from. Personally I don't want to be involved in another "flame war" and I'd hate to see another one get started over sharing good information.

Robert

Last edited:
Wife an I are going to the store less now,we always have a good supply of meat and fish in the freezer,TP ,paper towels we buy bulk at BJs, water same thing.We will have to get some fresh greens to blanch an freeze.
Hope everyone stays safe
Richie

I'm doing all the things yall are doing. I was having a conversation with another member this morning about this and he brought up a great point. flatbroke flatbroke is out this morning getting supplies for elderly neighbors. (Please limit contact if this is ssomethingyou decide to do) I think that's something people miss. It's not all about us. We as Americans can take this opportunity to not be rioting at the grocery store and instead realize we are in a unique situation to come together as a country and extend some Grace to our fellow Americans. People are afraid whether you are or not. And that's ok. Take care of your families and friends and strangers. You never know what someone is going through. Stay safe!

sigh... really?? LOL dude the ebola apocalypses is NOT in effect relax..can we have one of these threads where people aren't acting ridiculous? Someone suggested wearing a respirator when they wert out ..really /sigh
Obviously you haven’t been following what’s happening in Europe.

Obviously you haven’t been following what’s happening in Europe.
You'd be better off just not even responding to people who are trying their best to get a rise out of those who are concerned. You wont change his opinion and will just cause this thread to get locked. We should be able to have a thread where people arerespectful of others concerns. Dont let the trolls get the best of you

sigh... really?? LOL dude the ebola apocalypses is NOT in effect relax..can we have one of these threads where people aren't acting rediculous?

I respect what you're saying here but as I noted in my previous reply, different people are going to have different requirements and may need to take a different approach to keeping themselves safe. My request is that people please respect what others feel they must do to protect themselves. I'm not an extremist in any way...well except for my approach to cooking, but I see nothing extreme in Ray's approach to how he feels the need to deal with this.

Robert

You'd be better off just not even responding to people who are trying their best to get a rise out of those who are concerned. You wont change his opinion and will just cause this thread to get locked. We should be able to have a thread where people arerespectful of others concerns. Dont let the trolls get the best of you

Very well stated Jake and my sentiments exactly.

Robert

Ignoring all the hype and listening to and following the advice of provincial/federal health care departments. I read a article warning people not to drink bleach, it won’t help with the virus, got a good chuckle out of that one.
The Mrs read an article a few days ago telling people they could use bleach to wash their hands.
Unbelievable....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky