What pellets and where ya getting them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

starsfaninco

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 2, 2006
Denver
So, I've just burned through the 400 lbs of recteq pellets (before they switched to Kingsford). Looking to buy more, but not a bag or two here and there. Wanting to have a good mix (stored in stackable containers) that I can add to the hopper, depending on what I'm cooking. I have the "Bull", and have had most great experiences with it. Long, low and slow cooks, and some high heat stuff. I still use my gas grill for most high heat stuff though. Anyway, back to pellets. What's your choice, and where you getting them (preferably shipped free?)?

I use Bear Mountain pellets and buy directly from their website. Not many places around here that sell anything but Trager or PitBoss pellets.

Reactions: starsfaninco
Been using Cookinpellets 100% hickory. They stay lit in the Amazen tube better than any other brand.
Also use the Lumberjack Hick Char once in a while. But I find those more difficult to keep lit.

Lumberjack as well - I buy mine at Atwoods when they're on sale for $6.99/20# bag. I think they're about the best bang for the buck pellet I've used so far. It's about a 40 mile drive from my house.

I get lumberjack pellets from Dick's Sporting Goods. $15 a bag but I'm in New England so everything is more expensive.

Seems like I saw on someone’s site for Lumberjack - maybe one f their retail partners? -:where you could get a 1/4 to 1 ton delivered(?) bit had to get at least 1/2ton to compete with retail prices.

I use Bear Mountain pellets and buy directly from their website.

I too use Bear Mountain. Quality and burn has been good. But I found mind from a supplier on eBay who is typically cheaper than direct and has free shipping. Have 100# arriving this week.

Also have used Lumberjack, but our Rural doesn't stock them. Good stuff as well.

Seems like I saw on someone’s site for Lumberjack - maybe one f their retail partners? -:where you could get a 1/4 to 1 ton delivered(?) bit had to get at least 1/2ton to compete with retail prices.
Did a little searching... This is what I've found so far...

Ok, so I found a pretty good deal on the original RecTeq bags. 25/bag, so I bought 4 bags until I can find Lumberjack here in Colorado. I've got a couple of stores (Big R, and TSC ) fairly nearby. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys.

A year in to my pooper.
Started with Traeger pellets, but they are expensive at $20 for a 33# sack (61¢/#) at Costco.
Switched over to Lumberjack as local box store has at $9.99 for a 20# sack (50¢/#) and periodically $6.99 (35¢/#)
Another local box store has Bear Mountain, don't remember the price, but reasonable.

I've used a variety of pellets and pellet blends in the hopper. It really doesn't make much difference to me.
The noticeable difference is what pellets I use in the smoke tube

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky