What is your opinion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used to take it off before smoking. No longer.

I saw a TV show a while back about a famous rib joint in the Memphis area. The owner smoked his spares with the membrane attached, then it easily peeled off when the ribs were ready. It was thin like tissue paper and came off in like two seconds. He believed it kept the ribs juicier.

Juicier or not, it is SOOOOO easy to peel off at the end of the smoke. I haven't peeled one since, pre-smoke.

Last edited:
I used to take it off before smoking. No longer.

I saw a TV show a while back about a famous rib joint in the Memphis. The owner smoked his spares with the membrane attached, then it easily peeled off when the ribs were ready. It was thin like tissue paper and came off in like two seconds. He believed it kept the ribs juicier.

Juicier or not, it is SOOOOO easy to peel off at the end of the smoke. I haven't peeled one since, pre-smoke.

Going to take your word and give it a try.

Warren

I have to agree with noboundaries, been smoking ribs for at least 15 plus years on a multiple of different smokers with and without the membrane, I prefer with the membrane on, tend to be a whole heck of lot juicer.

Question if you leave it on and take it off after the cook how does that effect the ones with a sauce on them? Seems like that would be a big mess. Just my $.02

Warren

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky