What is your favorite oriental dish?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My favorite oriental dish is a Thai meal.

Pad Gra Pow. or spicy beef basil
God bless my wife. she couldn't light a chimney of charcoal , but get her near a wok or and italian baking apparatus and she kills it our new favorite(amongst many) is General Tso Chicken.twice wok fried and crispy. bad image here , but i was hungry 60D9B7B6-96BF-45BA-AB0C-8878D781F509.jpeg
60D9B7B6-96BF-45BA-AB0C-8878D781F509.jpeg

The favorite one I make is Thai curry. I don't have a picture, but since I'll sometimes gift the curry paste as a stocking stuffer, I include with it the recipe below. The essential ingredient is the Maesri curry paste, which can be found in Asian markets for $2 or $3 a can, or on Amazon.

Thai Curry, basic recipe for 2-3 people

Mix half a can of coconut milk with half a can of curry paste (red is my favorite, but green (slightly hotter), yellow, panang, or masaman are also good; the latter are all slightly less hot. The remainder of the coconut milk and curry can be mixed together and stored in the fridge for up to a few weeks. Half a can of curry paste does make the sauce moderately hot; you can omit some of the curry if desired. If you are making a larger batch, use the full cans of coconut milk and curry paste. This dish freezes well.

Cut up two chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes. Stir fry in oil; adding a bit of sesame oil improves the flavor. Remove from heat when almost cooked through.

Cut up two onions and two large bell peppers into bite-sized squares, and stir fry in oil. (I like to use one green, one red or orange, for color) Adding some sesame oil here also adds to the flavor.

Add the chicken, and the coconut milk/curry mix, and heat the mix through. You can add water if needed to thin the sauce. When almost done, I like to add a handful of unsalted peanuts or cashews.

Serve over rice.

Variations:

The chicken can be replaced with pork, beef, shrimp, scallops, or tofu.

Additional veggies can include green beans, carrots, mushrooms, baby corn, scallions, potato cubes…almost anything

Adding torn up cilantro leaves just before serving is a nice touch.

The favorite one I make is Thai curry. I don't have a picture, but since I'll sometimes gift the curry paste as a stocking stuffer, I include with it the recipe below. The essential ingredient is the Maesri curry paste, which can be found in Asian markets for $2 or $3 a can, or on Amazon.

Thai Curry, basic recipe for 2-3 people

Mix half a can of coconut milk with half a can of curry paste (red is my favorite, but green (slightly hotter), yellow, panang, or masaman are also good; the latter are all slightly less hot. The remainder of the coconut milk and curry can be mixed together and stored in the fridge for up to a few weeks. Half a can of curry paste does make the sauce moderately hot; you can omit some of the curry if desired. If you are making a larger batch, use the full cans of coconut milk and curry paste. This dish freezes well.

Cut up two chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes. Stir fry in oil; adding a bit of sesame oil improves the flavor. Remove from heat when almost cooked through.

Cut up two onions and two large bell peppers into bite-sized squares, and stir fry in oil. (I like to use one green, one red or orange, for color) Adding some sesame oil here also adds to the flavor.

Add the chicken, and the coconut milk/curry mix, and heat the mix through. You can add water if needed to thin the sauce. When almost done, I like to add a handful of unsalted peanuts or cashews.

Serve over rice.

Variations:

The chicken can be replaced with pork, beef, shrimp, scallops, or tofu.

Additional veggies can include green beans, carrots, mushrooms, baby corn, scallions, potato cubes…almost anything

Adding torn up cilantro leaves just before serving is a nice touch.
That looks really good.....

My absolute favorite curry is vindaloo..

I love Korean food.. best I ever had was in a little side street place in Chicago. It was -14°F and we walk down to this place and the line is out the door and down the street. The place was so packed they had to hand us our order over the top of peoples' heads.

Korean pancakes.. so good! One of my favorites in Tulsa does Korean seafood pancakes which are the same thing but with a lot of seafood mixed in. (if you know, you know)

Galbi (thin sliced short ribs, marinated and cooked really hot) so, so good!

I make (made) a lot of Thai dishes over the years.
My wife's favorite is a basic red or green curry chicken with lots of coconut milk gravy.
Daughter eats everything. Son prefers my Pad Thai.
Since the kids flew the nest, I only make curry chicken. I don't even make my own pastes these days. I found store bought with minimal sodium. My extra veggie is bamboo shoot slivers.

I do love a steaming bowl of Pho. Not complete without big portions of tripe and tendon.
Partial to the spring rolls, too.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I love Korean food.. best I ever had was in a little side street place in Chicago. It was -14°F and we walk down to this place and the line is out the door and down the street. The place was so packed they had to hand us our order over the top of peoples' heads.

Korean pancakes.. so good! One of my favorites in Tulsa does Korean seafood pancakes which are the same thing but with a lot of seafood mixed in. (if you know, you know)

Galbi (thin sliced short ribs, marinated and cooked really hot) so, so good!
Jeff just reminded me about Khao Nom Kok – Coconut Rice Cakes. Man those are good and going on the menu this week.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 2
Teriyaki beef-asparagus stirfry, a little zucchini tossed into the wok, sesame shrimp, S&S pork, chicken shu mai. Love that stuff, have it couple times a month! RAY

DSCN4202.JPG

DSCN4203.JPG

DSCN4235.JPG

Reactions: bill ace 350
SnS <insert any protein here>, Shrimp chow mien, and of course the generals

Chris

If we order delivery it's always General Tso's Chicken. The Mrs. deserves a high sodium treat now and then.
When I do my own I always fall back on Korean BBQ Beef. I keep saying I'm going to try something different but we both like it and it's pretty simple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky