What is your choice of ribs? First choice & last choice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
OK. I am sure this question was asked before on this forum but I can assure you: I did my part and tried to search this forum with no positive result....
This is my question: What is your choice of ribs to smoke? First choice & last choice. With prices going up like crazy, when baby back at $4.99 and St. Louis style ribs are not present on shelves at all.... My local supermarket having spareribs on sale right now for $1.99. I smoked BBR & St. Louis style but never dealt with spareribs... Aany advice? Thank you, guys.... as usual!

Reactions: JC in GB
I like St. Louis style ribs and baby backs equally well. I cook BB’s at home most all of the time.
Most of the time when I have to buy spares I cut them down to SL ribs.

Johnny Ray

Reactions: pushok2018
Haven't had any shortage of ribs where I am at. Just 2 weeks ago picked up some baby backs for $2.50 per lb. That is usually my first choice. Really I would say spares would be my last choice but just because the St. Louis are already neatly trimmed and normally cut nice and even.

Right now ore store has Baby Backs for $2.99 lb. Pretty well have Spares all the time for a buck 99

I would probably go with the Spares for the difference in price, unless you are really craving Baby Backs. Last ribs I cooked were Spares . I do all my ribs the same the spares usually take a little longer .

Gary

Thank you very much for all your quick responses! Yes, I really appreciate that - I had a question and it was answered in a timely manner. Now I know what have to do: I'll pass on spareribs and wiat for better deal, if any...... Thank you again!

Reactions: TNJAKE
st. louis, spares, baby back, if all they have are the spares I would go for it as mentioned same thing as st. louis just not trimmed, really no need to trim just smoke the whole thing.

I really prefer the spareribs myself. I like the extra fat. I feel like it gives a much deeper flavor. I don't mind cooking them a bit longer to get that right texture. Plus I love those rib tips that are there as a bonus. My wife prefers the baby backs so I do smoke them most of the time but my personal preference is definitely the spareribs. You can always trim them yourself St Louis style and still have those delicious rib tips.

G

A rib is a rib is a rib. Anyway I can get them at a reasonable price. (I'm a cheap old man) I really have no 1st or last preference. Cooking fast or slow not a hard choice because I cook low and slow and no wrap. I also buy riblets that comes from when they trim the spares to make St louis style ribs. Usually 10 lbs. for $10.00

Warren

Last edited:
I like spare ribs first, spare ribs second, and well..... spare ribs take third place too. More flavor, better texture and they just work for me. I prefer to by the St Louis racks, but the slabs are cheaper and I have some modest knife skills so I don't mind sizing them down, plus the snacks from the trim are hard to beat.

I would pick a few up at that price. Trim them to St Louis style and save the tips for snacks. Or......cut the tips into 3-4 sections and cure in pops brine...smoke then freeze. You will have some very nice chunks of meat to season things like beans or soups with.

They are real easy to cut with a sharp knife...
0525201225.jpg

Untrimmed spare ribs for me. Just picked up two racks this morning. I smoke them whole, no trimming. SLC's second if the price is right, but they are usually a 50 cents to a dollar more per pound where I shop. I haven't smoked BBs in years because they are $2+ more per lb than the spares. Not worth the difference in price IMO, but that's personal preference.

Spare Ribs anyday! I cut down to St Louis, then remove the bit of bone and cartilage from the Tips. I turn the Tip meat into Chinese Char Siu and make a variety of dishes with that meat. $1.99 is the average sale price locally. But, under normal circumstances, would see $.99 to $1.49 per during the three summer holidays...JJ

Wow! Thank you everyone for your comments! This is really - "tastes differ"... Personally, I never really payed my attention on spares because they are always cheaper, which translates to me as "worse" but looks like they are the same as St. Louis ribs (after trimming). Well... tomorrow I am heading to my local supermarket to get couple of them for this Saturday.... Thank you again. Your help is much appreciated!

Reactions: HalfSmoked
I like both cuts. I prefer baby back and wife prefers spares.

I will not pay more money for the butcher to trim a rack of spares into St Louis cut and rib tips.
Thanks Sowsage Sowsage for the illustrated ease of trimming a full spare rack into a St Louis cut.

I will not pay the prices the suppliers are gouging on pork and beef these days

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky