What is the difference between Dextrose and Corn Syrup Solids?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't know the difference in sausage or in regular cooking.

Corn syrup solids is glucose polymers - long chains of glucose linked together - derived from corn. To make corn syrup solids, corn syrup is dehydrated until most of the water has been removed.
(I had to search that)

Dextrose is corn derived sugar. Supposed to be chemically the same as glucose (blood sugar).
Regular table sugar (beet or cane derived) is sucrose which is glucose and fructose.
(This I know from previous research as my wife wants to decrease "added sugars" in our diet.)

DEXTROSE - 70% as sweet as cane sugar and quite a bit heavier. Helps reduce nitrate to nitrite as meats are cured. Used to counter salt in brines. Dextrose assists fermentation, which gives us the desired tang of flavor. The most common sugar used in meat is dextrose. Dextrose is corn sugar and it will not burn as easily as cane or beet sugar. When a recipe calls for cane sugar you can replace it with dextrose by adding 20% more dextrose than cane sugar due to the sweetness factor between cane sugar and dextrose.

CORN SYRUP / CORN SYRUP SOLIDS - Only about 40-50% as sweet as cane sugar. will help to hold water and color in meat, bind the meat when curing sausage at low temperatures, aid the fermentation process when semi-dry or dry curing. Add no more than 2% of the green weight of the meat.

Credit goes to Devo, from the wedlinydomowe.pl website.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky