What has been the WEIRDEST injection liquid you've used?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mfreel

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 4, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
In a previous thread, Dave got me to thinkin' about this.  What's the weirdest injection liquid you've used?  

I'm pretty boring.  Apple juice with rib rub has been the extent of my experimentation.

My neighbor did a smoked turkey injected with champagne.  It was pretty good.

How about you?

Coffee, STRONG BLACK COFFEE!

For giggles one night out at deer camp, we injected a brisket with almost a full pot of coffee.  Some alcohol may have been involved in making that decision..

We then seasoned it up, let it rest in the frig overnight, and then put it on the smoker the next day to cook.  I'll have to admit, it turned out pretty good, the rest of the folks had no clue what the flavor was, and we've done several since then.

Now, it doesn't taste like a normal brisket, I really can't explain the flavor, but it's pretty good.

With brisket prices as high as they are, I don't recommend trying this on a full packer, but try it on a cheap roast and then smoke it.

Reactions: thomas phillips
This Thanksgiving I did two 20 pound turkeys cooked at the same time. 2 Breasts in one pan and 4 boned, rolled and tied Legs in another. Since the birds were cut up, I used the roasted backbones, necks, giblets and wings to make 2 gallons of stock. I mixed 1C Turkey Fat, 1C Turkey Stock and 1T Rub to make my injection liquid. Not necessarily weird but they were the BEST Turkeys I have had to date. At 53 I have had a few.
biggrin.gif
...JJ

Coffee, STRONG BLACK COFFEE!
<snip>
With brisket prices as high as they are, I don't recommend trying this on a full packer, but try it on a cheap roast and then smoke it.
Brisket prices are about $2/lb less than roast.  Maybe next time I cook one, I'll lop off a chunk of the point and give it a caffeine shock!

I've injected Loganberry juice into pork tenderloin before.  Didn't make a big difference in taste, but did make it a bit sweeter.  Was only able to taste a hint of the loganberry.  It turned the inside purple which kind of freaked people out when I would eat it.  Made some loganberry BBQ sauce too, but I didn't think it worked out too well.  Made 2 different ones.  One with the juice, and the other with a shot of loganberry vodka (stuff is delicious).  The shot made it a lot sweeter than the juice, but I didn't care for it; guys at poker loved it though. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky