what got you interested in making sausage ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
in my case it was because i could not buy the kind of sausage in this area that i grew up eating
so i had to learn how to make my own , now that word has gotten around about our sausage everyone in this area wants them . if i was a lot younger i could start a nice business making and selling these in this area !!

I enjoy making foods from scratch so making my own sausages just became part of that. I like knowing what goes into things and being able to adjust the flavors to my preferences makes the extra effort worth it.

I love sausage, and it is the perfect stand up lunch. Wrap it in a tortilla, add some condiments and chow down. I get to control the sodium content as well, I don't like all of the salt in commercial sausage. Then I just like making my own stuff so when the experts here gave me the process, the only sausage I buy now is andoulii, and I suspect next fall I will take on that project.

Reactions: WI Smoker77
I love food and really enjoy cooking mainly from scratch so it was no brainer for me. Did some reading ,got interested and as they say the rest is history lol.

The want to make Taylor ham (pork roll) got me in the door, and I just branched into other sausages from there. What I make is superior to anything I can buy, so I keep on doing it. I won't say I truly enjoy cleaning grinders and stuffers, or mixing cold meat by hand, but the end product is worth the effort.

Reactions: YooperSmoker
I was really working to up my brisket game, so I started making a brisket just about once a week. The brisket trim started piling up, so I decided to give sausage making a try. Glad I did, because I've really been enjoying it and i can't get the kind of sausage I want in my area, so it's a win win.

Reactions: snadamo and DougE
I do like how everything tastes that I make from scratch. Sausage? It was a cost issue. When I could buy a 2-lb chub of bulk Italian sausage for $6, that was right on the verge of being too much money. I paid for the convenience. It is now close to $9 for the same chub. Nope. Time to make my own. Been doing it since late last summer.

Same thing happened with bread, BTW. $5 for a loaf of bread? Nope. I can make six loaves for the same price. We've been eating my bread for more than two years.

Lowering the salt and eliminating the sugar content.
Started with wife's HBP, but now I got it too

I'm working on breakfast sausage that has egg and cheese

Like others, I love to cook. It is great to be able to control the flavour profiles yourself and to learn new ways to do things.

It's kind of an oxymoron thinking about making sausages and/or smoking as a new skill -- I vaguely remember as a child helping my grandparents make sausage, doing small farm chores, and generally making things from scratch. And then as I got older, it became more about quicker and easier in our North American society. So, it is a new skillset I seek in getting back to the old ways of food, fire, smoke, and sausages.

Jason

Originally hunting got me interested. The best butcher in my area is over an hour away. It’s since morphed into grinding my own meat and making my own sausage. To me it’s so much more satisfying and tastes a lot better than store bought.

My Dego Gramp's, he was the one who supplied the whole family with fennel heavy sweet Sicilian sausage, and the Calabrian and chili Italian sausage. Later in life when he was long gone, I was elected to be the sausage maker for the family. i made hundreds of lbs if not thousands. Everyone I knew was gifted sausage for the holidays.

Years later and a bum spine, I have really cut back on my sausage making, I need to change that this yr.

I was researching how to make bacon. This site popped up on Google. So I starting reading about how to make sausage too.

Several years ago I read about making sausage on this site. I had never considered it before but it sounded like fun.
It's come in handy since the Mrs had to go on a low sodium diet a couple of years ago.
We haven't had store bought sausage in (+/-)6 years.
BTW, I do all my own mixes. Never used a "store bought" mix.....

Reactions: indaswamp and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky