what got you interested in making sausage ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like to do as many whole foods from scratch as I can. I mill my own flour and cornmeal, roast my own coffee, grow gourmet mushrooms, garden, etc. It's been decades, but I'm pretty sure my first sausage was Andouille, and it was made because I couldn't find any at the store.

I do like how everything tastes that I make from scratch. Sausage? It was a cost issue. When I could buy a 2-lb chub of bulk Italian sausage for $6, that was right on the verge of being too much money. I paid for the convenience. It is now close to $9 for the same chub. Nope. Time to make my own. Been doing it since late last summer.

Same thing happened with bread, BTW. $5 for a loaf of bread? Nope. I can make six loaves for the same price. We've been eating my bread for more than two years.
I'm pretty cheap and go down that rabbit hole sometimes, but you've gotta remember to pay yourself too. Once I factored in the value of my time, i stopped cutting my own lawn. Quality/control/enjoyment though I'll happily spend my own time on.

Reactions: noboundaries
I'm pretty cheap and go down that rabbit hole sometimes, but you've gotta remember to pay yourself too. Once I factored in the value of my time, i stopped cutting my own lawn. Quality/control/enjoyment though I'll happily spend my own time on.
Great point! I'm retired, so, making own sausage, jerky, bread, frozen dinners, etc IS me paying myself.

BTW, the ONLY great thing about having hay fever is my wife has done the yard for decades. I hated it. She LOVES it. That's a marriage made in Heaven.

Great point! I'm retired, so, making own sausage, jerky, bread, frozen dinners, etc IS me paying myself.

BTW, the ONLY great thing about having hay fever is my wife has done the yard for decades. I hated it. She LOVES it. That's a marriage made in Heaven.
That all sounds like the dream :) Congrats!

Reactions: noboundaries
I never even thought of making sausage until I went to my first N. Fl. Gathering pineywoods pineywoods (Jerry's)... They ( boykjo boykjo , BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker ) did a class/tutorial on how to make snack sticks and sausage... After tasting that I was hooked... Came home and purchased all equipment needed to do myself ... I must admit though that I don't make it as often as I should she still buys sausage from time to time ..

Also... I forget which member it was did a class/tutorial on making homemade bacon at the same Gathering ... Needless to say I started doing that as well

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky