What does it actually take...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't wrap and smoke the whole time, but yeah once you wrap there is no reason to keep the smoke rolling.

Smoke can't get through foil so I finish the ribs in the Oven. I add the Sauce below, cook them 2 hours at 225, take them out of the foil, save the foil juices, put the ribs back in the Oven at 325°F to finish the cook and get a Bark ( Watch Them ). I look for an IT of 195, per Smokin Al, for Bite Off or 200+ for Fall Off the Bone.
I cook the Foil Juices until thick then Glaze the ribs...JJ

Foiling Juice

For 2 Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2C Cane Syrup or Dark Corn Syrup.
1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice
1T Molasses
2T Apple Cider Vinegar.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1 at 225 in the smoker or Oven. For the last phase return the ribs to the smoker, or 325°F Oven, BUT reserve any Juice remaining in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

100% Best Answer!

You need Wet Meat, Low Temps (200°F), for a Long Time (4-5 hours) and Lots of NO/CO generated by Burning Wood or Charcoal Briquettes, not Lump! An AMNPS or Cold Smoke Attachment does not generate sufficient NO/CO to get more than a surface mahogany coloring.
The NO/CO mixes with moisture, to penetrate the meat. Keeping the meat wet prolongs the penetration. A Low Temp slows the Myoglobin from denaturing, cooking too fast, so they can still react with the gasses.
That's it. Some have gotten marginal results by Burning 2 Charcoal Briquettes in a pan in the MES Cabinet. YMMV...JJ
Or a little crushed celery seed or celery salt in the rub or cure #1 will do the trick.....I know a lot of people that do this seeing that it's just for show anyways.

Last edited:
Or a little crushed celery seed salt in the rub or cure #1 will do the trick.....I know a lot of people that do this seeing that it's just for show anyways.

Interesting. I use Celery Seed and Flakes in my rub but never noticed any ring. I will have to specifically look next time...JJ

Reactions: forktender
Thanks. I would have liked to see the test done in an Electric Smoker...JJ

Reactions: forktender
Thanks. I would have liked to see the test done in an Electric Smoker...JJ
I've done it in an elec. oven to fake the smoke ring on brisket, and chuck roast many times.
It works very well, too good if you leave it on the meat for more than a few minutes...I can spot a fake smoke ring a mile away, why because I've done it and tested it many times working my buddies catering jobs.:emoji_grin:
A lot of BBQ places do the very same thing for appearance only and I don't have a problem with that seeing that it's just a visual thing and it doesn't effect the taste or texture. There some people out there that expect it and think that good BBQ has to have a smoke ring.

... or celery salt in the rub or cure #1 will do the trick....
Cure #1 meansCuring Agent #1 or Prague Powder #1...it's 1/16 sodium nitrite and the remainder table salt (with pink coloring, since it is a bit hazardous). Simple heating will turn NaNO2 into NO...that's what's giving the smoke ring. Yes, it's a bit cheating but so is Wright's Liquid Smoke...and I have a big bottle of that too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky