What do you guys use to cook with your sv

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Hi guys one of my buddies gave me his old Gourmia sv to try out. And none of my pans are deep enough to use it. I was wondering what you guys use to cook your food in. Like a deep pan or anything else o can try without buying another pan? Pretty excited to try this out

Ha, Ha, Brian.
I finally got myself an inexpensive 5 gallon BPH free (food grade) bucket, then cut the upper part off to make a ~4 gallon SV reservoir for my new SV heater. Walmart has them cheapest, Lowe's and I'd imagine Homeless Depot has them as well.
My SV heater has a clamp on it. So cutting down the bucket works the best for me.
I've done Salmon Filet's and Pork Loin in mine. (160 degrees for 12 hours)
The size has plenty of room for what I do.

Edit in: Hard to beat <$5.00 for a SV container.

Last edited:
I use an old 40 quart beer cooler that I took a 3 inch hole saw to the top for an insert for the heater, at my camper.
At home, I picked up a 20 quart food grade pvc tub that I picked up at the restaurant supply store.

Also being cheap, a modified file rack works great to segregate bags.

20190118_180536.jpg
Nice with cover to keep evaporation to a minimum for extended cooks.

Had to improvise a little bit was too eager to try it out. Just put a little Lemmon pepper seasoning, cilantro and a little butter in just to try out while my ribs are on the smoker

Attachments

• 89788850-5D63-4A82-9873-A65ACF2A544B.jpeg
    89788850-5D63-4A82-9873-A65ACF2A544B.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 18B6F3DC-D2F9-4E45-8BC3-3A32FB93FF88.jpeg
    18B6F3DC-D2F9-4E45-8BC3-3A32FB93FF88.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 23
I know some of the guys have said they used the sink before . I have several things I use , but I took the crisper drawer out of the spare fridge and used that once . Worked good .

Edit . I might get what you're saying now . That's a fixed clamp on that one ?
The Anova's are height adjustable .

I have a large SS pot I have been using. Going to build a cooler thou.

I haven't found a cooler with a thin enough wall yet for my clamp.
I could cut a keyhole for it, but still holding out.
Besides, the bucket is working great.

Now, if I could get my damned vacuum sealer back, or a replacement....

Yeah I’ll probably buy a tall pan the sink took a while to warm up but like I said I just wanted to try it out. So far about 30 minutes in. Lots of juice in the vacuum sealed bag is that normal? And do you guys throw it on the grill after to get the charred marks? I might just throw it on a pan. Like I said this is all an expierment while I’m waiting...

Attachments

• 3252DB3E-FAD7-429F-8833-D2C5F13E5DEF.jpeg
    3252DB3E-FAD7-429F-8833-D2C5F13E5DEF.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 17
Chicken? Juice is normal. I try to sear on the grill or pan.

Hi guys one of my buddies gave me his old Gourmia sv to try out. And none of my pans are deep enough to use it. I was wondering what you guys use to cook your food in. Like a deep pan or anything else o can try without buying another pan? Pretty excited to try this out

Hi Brian, For small cooks in the SV I use a stock pot that is deep enough to accommodate the Anova SV. For larger cuts of meat or multiple pieces that are too large for the stock pot I use my “cooler mod.”

Weedeater

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky