What do you consider essential smoking accessories, tools along with other questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nomad_archer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Brickerville, PA
I am new to smoking and found a like new 18 WSM at a price I couldn't pass up. So now that I have a smoker I realize there is an untold number of tools, accessories, and gadgets out there. I am hoping some of you are willing to chime in on what are the worthwhile and must have tools and accessories to have before getting started.

While we are at it any advice on something simple to start with for the first cook? Does the WSM need seasoned? The prior own said it was used 3 times and it looks like it saw hardly any use.

Finally any general advice and techniques to help me along the learning curve with the WSM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If the previous owner said it was used three times it wouldn't need to be re-seasoned but if I were you I would light up some coals and run it as you would if you were putting meat on. This will give you an opportunity to kind of learn it and play with the temp adjustments and what not.

As far as accessories go the first and most important would be a remote probe thermometer. Get a two or four probe and save yourself a lot of hassle. Inkbird and Thermopro run some deals on amazon and make quality units. Make sure you have plenty of foil and foil pans to make things easier during the cook and for cleanup. Some heat resistant gloves or a good set of tongs also come to mind.

There are a million other things I could recommend you getting and you will start building an inventory as you go but for the first cook get a pork butt or some chicken and go to town! Both very forgiving for first cooks.

Oh and plenty of cold beer!

i'm not familiar with the wsm but I don't think a burn out would hurt, I would get a good temp probe for internal temps and grill temps, i'm sure someone more familiar with the wsm will be around though.

SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan has you covered. Like he said, fire up the smoker and get a feel for it.

Also, John I’m reading through your reply and I start thinking “how come he didn’t mention beer as an accessory?” And then I saw it at the end...thank you for not letting me down, lol!

Lol you know I wouldn't let you down Joe. Cold beer is a necessity while manning a grill/smoker.

Welcome Archer!!
You need more things with the WSM than I do with my Wattburner, so I'll let the guys who know the WSM help you.
Meanwhile, since you're only about 60 miles WSW of me, try to do your smoking when the wind is blowing my way, so I can share the Aroma with you!!

Bear

Three MUST HAVE styles of Knives. I have owned and used this brand at home an in Restaurants over 30 years...JJ

a granton style slicing knife is the best knife I have used and I cheaped out and got this one, along with the pair of boning knives.

I also got the Victorinox pairing knives and they are unbelievable:

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
a granton style slicing knife is the best knife I have used and I cheaped out and got this one, along with the pair of boning knives.

I also got the Victorinox pairing knives and they are unbelievable:

I have that same cheapo granton knife off amazon. I think I paid $12.99 for it a couple years ago and after a lot of use it still is in great shape!

Reactions: clifish
Yep, works great. I am not going to knock the Victoronix as the pairing set I have is great. I just don't use them often enough to spring for them.

Yep, works great. I am not going to knock the Victoronix as the pairing set I have is great. I just don't use them often enough to spring for them.

I have several Victoronix plastic handled boning and skinning knives I use several times a year for butchering deer and I love them.

He who dies with the most toys wins. Every one gave you lots of good info,I wood do a dry burn to re season & make friends with your soon to be new obsession.
Richie

Reactions: nomad_archer
BTW: I use an Electric Smoker, and I still never do overnighters or go away while I'm Smoking.
If you're going to do Over Night Smokes, make sure the Smoker isn't close enough to light the house, garage, car, etc, etc, if something bad happens!!!

Bear

Reactions: nomad_archer
Well as you can see there are a few dohickies out there that are needed. I'll chime in as a WSM owner. First, since it's a second hand smoker and your don't know what the previous owner used it for. I would open the vents, fill the charcoal ring up and lite a full chimney of either charcoal or lump. Get that baby as hot as possible until it burns itself out. Then I would wash the grates with soap and water. For a first cook keep it simple - maybe a pork butt, meatloaf, fattie or even ribs. Keeping the first cook simple will allow you to dial in how the WSM works.

Bare minimum items needed:
Charcoal, chimney starter, long tongs, good spatula, thermometer, grate brush and a group of people to eat whatever you cook.

Once your into your WSM for a bit you'll figure out what you want, and what's necessary.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky