What cut of meat to use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masoct3

Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Hello everyone,

Completely new to smoking. Wanted to take a poll as to what type/cut of meat you all use for your jerky.

Thank you in advance!

Round for sure. With the grain can be chewier but also more forgiving. Lose track and take jerky cut Across the grain too far and it will Crumble and have the texture of saw dust...JJ

The most $$ meat I know of, Deer lol hardly any fat lol

Right there with you on With the Grain. My kids would put down a couple pounds in a sitting if I made eating the Jerky too easy...JJ

I haven't made any in a while but I have a new smoker and am ready to make some. I used the brisket from Costco before. It isn't the cheapest but always came out great. This is from my electric smoker that died.

2018_beef_jerkey_002.jpg

Red wine and worshy sause.

2018_beef_jerkey_004.jpg

Oh and I am a rebel. Against the grain, partially frozen and cut as thin as possible with a slicer.

I do like the eye of round though. I will have to try that.

Don't knock ground meat jerky. I butcher my own deer and I cut the meat out between the ribs abd evry other place I can find. Can ene d up with extra 10+ pounds of grinds as I call em. Grind it use the HI Mountain Hickory and shoot opn to the trays with my jerky gun. Great for jerky or snack sticks. When 93/7 ground meat goes on sale I use that for jerky and snack sticks. Sure is easy when you want to make a batch in a hurry plus I give it away to friends a lot. Save the better stuff for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky