1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What cut of meat to use?

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by masoct3, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Hello everyone,

Completely new to smoking. Wanted to take a poll as to what type/cut of meat you all use for your jerky.

Thank you in advance!

2. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Lean and long muscle fibers make eye of round perfect for beef jerky.

JC in GB likes this.
  3. fivetricks

fivetricks Smoking Fanatic

Yup. Any beef labeled "round" will make good jerky. Lucky for you it's usually the cheapest too! Eye of round being the cheapest (usually ) of the 3

JC in GB, radioguy and ksblazer like this.
  4. Bigtank

Bigtank Smoke Blower

When you cut it do you go against the grain?

5. Round works real nice, but really any lean cut will do. You don't want a lot of marbling.

I cut with sometimes and against sometimes. Depends on how chewy I want it to be.

6. jbellard

jbellard Smoking Fanatic

Eye of round.
    Usually cut against the grain.

Try it both ways and see which one you prefer.

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Round for sure. With the grain can be chewier but also more forgiving. Lose track and take jerky cut Across the grain too far and it will Crumble and have the texture of saw dust...JJ

8. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic

The most $$ meat I know of, Deer lol hardly any fat lol

9. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I buy whole eye of round and generally nice trimmed of fat cap and other surface fat net out to just shy of 5lb or a perfect amount for my 5 tray dehydrator.

Once trimmed I cut it in 1/2 against the grain. Then take each 1/2 turn it 90 degrees and then slice off 3/4" slabs with the grain. Then lay the slab of eat flat and slice with the grain 1/8" or do thick.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to jerky and won't use ground meat squirted onto a tray or cut against the grain to make it more tender. Jerky is supposed to be tough, chewy and dry after all they don't call it "Beef tender".

J1.jpg J3.jpg J4.jpg

90beater and chef jimmyj like this.
  10. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Right there with you on With the Grain. My kids would put down a couple pounds in a sitting if I made eating the Jerky too easy...JJ

11. ksblazer

ksblazer Smoking Fanatic

Top or bottem round
    Cut against the grain for an easier chew.

12. 90beater

90beater Smoke Blower

I haven't made any in a while but I have a new smoker and am ready to make some. I used the brisket from Costco before. It isn't the cheapest but always came out great. This is from my electric smoker that died.

[​IMG]

Red wine and worshy sause.

[​IMG]

13. 90beater

90beater Smoke Blower

Oh and I am a rebel. Against the grain, partially frozen and cut as thin as possible with a slicer.

I do like the eye of round though. I will have to try that.

14. smokerjim

smokerjim Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I like using the top round, but as the others said eye round will work fine.

15. Texan4ut

Texan4ut Fire Starter

Don't knock ground meat jerky. I butcher my own deer and I cut the meat out between the ribs abd evry other place I can find. Can ene d up with extra 10+ pounds of grinds as I call em. Grind it use the HI Mountain Hickory and shoot opn to the trays with my jerky gun. Great for jerky or snack sticks. When 93/7 ground meat goes on sale I use that for jerky and snack sticks. Sure is easy when you want to make a batch in a hurry plus I give it away to friends a lot. Save the better stuff for me.

16. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Agreed top round or eye round also as mention ground will work too.

Warren

17. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

London broil or other meats that are on sale work fine.

meatallica likes this.