• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What cut of meat to use?

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masoct3

Sep 4, 2012
Hello everyone,

Completely new to smoking. Wanted to take a poll as to what type/cut of meat you all use for your jerky.

Thank you in advance!

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
When you cut it do you go against the grain?
Round works real nice, but really any lean cut will do. You don't want a lot of marbling.

I cut with sometimes and against sometimes. Depends on how chewy I want it to be.

jbellard

Smoking Fanatic
Dec 6, 2016
Eye of round.
Usually cut against the grain.

Try it both ways and see which one you prefer.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Round for sure. With the grain can be chewier but also more forgiving. Lose track and take jerky cut Across the grain too far and it will Crumble and have the texture of saw dust...JJ

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 25, 2018
The most $$ meat I know of, Deer lol hardly any fat lol

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Right there with you on With the Grain. My kids would put down a couple pounds in a sitting if I made eating the Jerky too easy...JJ

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
I haven't made any in a while but I have a new smoker and am ready to make some. I used the brisket from Costco before. It isn't the cheapest but always came out great. This is from my electric smoker that died.

2018_beef_jerkey_002.jpg

Red wine and worshy sause.

2018_beef_jerkey_004.jpg

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
Oh and I am a rebel. Against the grain, partially frozen and cut as thin as possible with a slicer.

I do like the eye of round though. I will have to try that.

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 14, 2014
I like using the top round, but as the others said eye round will work fine.

Texan4ut

Fire Starter
Feb 16, 2019
Don't knock ground meat jerky. I butcher my own deer and I cut the meat out between the ribs abd evry other place I can find. Can ene d up with extra 10+ pounds of grinds as I call em. Grind it use the HI Mountain Hickory and shoot opn to the trays with my jerky gun. Great for jerky or snack sticks. When 93/7 ground meat goes on sale I use that for jerky and snack sticks. Sure is easy when you want to make a batch in a hurry plus I give it away to friends a lot. Save the better stuff for me.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Agreed top round or eye round also as mention ground will work too.

Warren

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
London broil or other meats that are on sale work fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky