what cut for pulled pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
get a butt aka sholder roast. bone in or out.....it don't matter.

Wanting to smoke something to do sandwiches for the weekend. Need help on cut of meat and smoking methods.  Thanks in advance    Mike
Go with the (Pork) Boston Butt.  That'll most likely be how its marked in the store.  I prefer bone-in myself, but its preference. It also a portion of the pork shoulder, so a shoulder would work find too. 

The night before the smoke I'd cover it in olive oil (or more preferrably around here... YELLOW MUSTARD) and then put a favorite rub on it, wrap it in saranwrap, put it in the fridge overnight to let the rub do its dirty work. 

Usually folks will say about 1.5 hrs per pound, but it'll be most important that you cook to temperatures.  I'd start it early (depending on the weight and when you want to eat).  I do Butts between 225-250 (closer to 250 for time constraints).  After the first couple hours you can spritz it every hour with any liquid you like... i use apple cider vinegar with brown sugar dissolved in it.  When the Internal temp reaches 165, double or triple wrap that bad boy in foil then put it back on the pit until it reaches 200-205 internally.  At that point you are done, but most people recommend letting it "rest". To rest, simply wrap it in an old towel (still in the foil obviously!) and toss it in a cooler for about an hour. 

When you open that thing up it'll be so tender you can't even pick it up in one piece.

Hope this helped.

What New2Que said.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

One thing you can do differantly if you want is put the butt/shoulder in a foil pan and cover tightly with foil when the internal temp gets to 165°. Basically it is an alternative to wraping in foil, the reason a lot of people like pans is because they are more resistant to getting punctured or ripped and dumping all your juices out.

Also on a side note when you rest the meat in the cooler, the cooler is dry (just confirming to be safe... lol), and fill the rest of the cooler space with old towels. I would let it rest for 2 full hours if you can, then pull it - FYI it will still be hot enough to burn bare fingers so be carefull.

.... and one last thing after you pull it out of the smoker and before you put it in the cooler, open up your foil/pan and pour the juices into a bowl or container. Put them in the freezer for 15 min. or so till the fat sets up solid on the top, remove the fat, then use that as a base for your finishing sauce to be put on the pork right after you pull it.

icon_cool.gif

Well where I'm from in Fla here we have a butt and then the shoulder & ham. I usually use the butts for it's cheaper mopst of the time.

Something else  I have learned.  Even with rubbing the night before, the pork butt is such a big dense piece of meat that no matter how much rub you apply to the outside, once it is pulled you will wind up with some interior pieces of meat that have no seasoning at all.  I started injecting my butts and I think it improved them tremendously.  You can go with one of the commercial marinades, or something as simple as Lea and Perrins or soy sauce doctored up with some garlic and chili.  I have even taken garlic and onions and some olive oil and blended them until they were liquified and shot that in there. 

Good advice by all - be sure to post up the qview or it did not happen !!!

Ive got a buddy that marinates in a mixture of mountain dew and spices. No taste of MT DEW but it does help keep the butts moist
Pork Butts have a good amount of fat within and around them. There really should be no need to inject them but I have sometimes marinaded them in Mojo and injected them with Sour Orange. Only to impart flavor. It really does nothing to help how moist it turns out.

Definately a pork butt. I like to inject with a mixture of beef broth with garlic and onion powder and habanero sauce. I run it through a strainer first so it doesn't clog my injector.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky