WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO SMF?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I've been around a while. It took me a while too to register on the site as well. Back then forum sites were really riskier for me. so I was a lurker. " Hello My name is Denny O and I'm a Lurker"! LOL :emoji_upside_down: Any hoot I registered in mid year 2007, thinking I had been look'in in on the sidelined for at least a,,,, ehh maybe likely near three! I started traveling for work as a site Superintendent for restaurant construction in 2004 and I thought I was watching and learning some for a few years before that. Ell who knows!

SMF has helped me immensely back in the early years! I started with a tiny Hibachi grill, (what a joke!). Then in 1976 I graduated to one of my 22" Weber kettles, 2 years later the addition of a rotisserie. Then tried to do a major fire control with various 2 zone and offset setups. You name it I was doing it!! I just wasn't happy!! (Hey when Momma O ain't happy ya know Denny O ain't happy either!) I knew what I had to use, something of a real smoker! I found a little propane cabinet GOSM with a couple of uses in it and brought it home for $30.

Being a traveling superintendent building restaurants across the US I had a lot of extra time alone in my motel rooms with a laptop. I searched and searched and,,,, Well I think you get the picture. SMF and a minimal few other sites kept my attention. Now, I'm not logged in much nor was I logged much then, but I still have learned from many others.

My biggest kudos goes out to:
TulsaJeff TulsaJeff who was teaching me early on!!
Dutch Dutch For his baked beans that I've played with, Fabulous, simply Fabulous!!
disco disco for things in general and Canadian bacon!
pops6927 pops6927 for my ability to cure meats!
Bearcarver Bearcarver to nudge me along to get into pork bellies and do a cold smoke for a couple of different days!
Then one of the first posters for me to incorporate into my home crafts was
daveomak daveomak and your safe temps and how to achieve it in poultry!

I have to think a bit if there are any others that have had more of an impact on me than those. Well I've set on this for too long now as I'm no longer going to be listed on the 1st page so I better get this off into the mail.

Last edited:
I grew up in northern MI and back then BBQ was anything cooked on a grill or anything served with BBQ sauce (ie moms left over pot roast made into bbq sandwich the next day). After collage I moved to TX. I was driving around trying to learn the area and saw an old guy on the side of the road with an offset smoker. I stopped to have lunch and was hooked. About 10 years later I got transferred to VA and alas no more BBQ. So my dear wife said why don’t you make your own? I started searching around the internet and found this site. That’s when the obsession began……
My first few try’s were almost inedible but over time I’ve learned so much from the good folks here.

Late to a thread as usual....I asked for, and received two 1/4" steel barrels for Christmas in 2012, from my father-in-law, who just scratched his head and wondered aloud why I wanted rusty steel as a present. Problem was, I didn't know anything about building a smoker. That brought me here. So, three years later I had a hybrid rf, with removable plate. I stole from every build I followed, but fleeced Gary S the most. Problem was, I didn't know how to properly use it. Back to SMF......I now turn out some good eats, but 90% of what I know is from SMF. The beans are Dutch's, the rib method is from SmokinAl, and the list goes on. My only regret is that, as someone early in the thread suggested, the beer has not been free.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky