What Beer Did You Drink in High School?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What ever my Dad had in garage at first. He kept trying to find something we did not like. When he got to the PBR we stopped but so did he. When started buying our own it was Canadian beer. Had local store that took care of us under age guys. Use to go across the river to Canada and the beer there was so good. Nothing like the stuff they exported.

Last edited:
Schiltz,it was still a good beer way back then !

Schlitz was the biggest selling beer in the world.

When I got out of the Marines I got a job at the local Budweiser brewery.
One day they had the employees mass in the parking lot and old Man Auggie Busch gave a speech.
"Schlitz is changing their recipe and brewing method and they'll be bankrupt by this time next year" he told us.
"It's why Miller is increasing their capacity 25%." -The old buzzard added.

Auggie was right about Schlitz going broke, but Miller was increasing production to release a secret product,,,, Miller Lite.
Miller captured 25% more of the market overnight.

Caught the old man by surprise and it took Budweiser years to catch up.

Reactions: noboundaries
First beer I ever drank, without permission...JJ😩
That's another thread, JJ. But since you mentioned it, dad kept a pony keg of some kind of beer in the patio fridge. When no folks were around, my buds and I used to open the tap straight into our mouths. That was WAAAAAAAY before HS.

Burgermeister, Schaefer's, PBR or Coor's light Party Balls (we'd buy one party ball for every 2 guys) with the boys. And St Pauli Girl, Moosehead or Henry Weinhard's when I was trying to impress the ladies.:emoji_joy:

I was able to buy at the age of 16 thanks to the drive through liquor store our town use to have, all that was needed was some dark glasses and an old man's fishing hat.

1631749589216.png

Last edited:
Schlitz was the biggest selling beer in the world.

When I got out of the Marines I got a job at the local Budweiser brewery.
One day they had the employees mass in the parking lot and old Man Auggie Busch gave a speech.
"Schlitz is changing their recipe and brewing method and they'll be bankrupt by this time next year" he told us.
"It's why Miller is increasing their capacity 25%." -The old buzzard added.

Auggie was right about Schlitz going broke, but Miller was increasing production to release a secret product,,,, Miller Lite.
Miller captured 25% more of the market overnight.

Caught the old man by surprise and it took Budweiser years to catch up.
Bull Ice at 8.2% was still immaculate compared to slightly weaker; Steel Reserve, Natty Daddys when those came out.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
OMG. Some serious flashbacks here. My family is as german as you could get and pushed the drinking envelope. I got a few sips when I was young but I would guess I was around 12-13 and Dad made me dig post holes for the new deck. I got them all done and Dad gave my first legit beer, all mine. It was glorious. I am one of those weird kids that actually liked the taste. In high school, we drank those midwestern german-ish beers like Hamm's usually.

As a certified beer judge I have to say that those smaller german breweries you guys mention like Hamms, Wiedemann, etc made seriously GREAT beers but the big breweries did one heck of job marketing against them with bikinis, Spud, and the horses. On that note I think Old Milwaukee Light (NOT the Beast) is probably the best tasting light beer you can buy.

Last edited:
Given a choice, I'd drink Stroh's, but also a lot of Miller Lite and Old Mil (aka Old McWally). When broke, we'd get those returnable hard, thick cardboard cases with the long-neck bottles--around $4 + a small deposit--which would usually be Red, White & Blue, Fox DeLuxe, or Rheinlander. And plenty of Boone's Farm: Strawberry Hill & Country Kwencher.

As a certified beer judge
On that note I think Old Milwaukee Light (NOT the Beast) is probably the best tasting light beer you can buy.

I would not have expected these two statements on the same page in a Million Years!😊 Then again, I'm not going to challenge a Judge.😂....JJ

I would not have expected these two statements on the same page in a Million Years!😊 Then again, I'm not going to challenge a Judge.😂....JJ,
Bring it on!

Old Milwaukee Light:
  • 1997 GABF – American-Style Light Lager – Gold
  • 1999 GABF – American-Style Light Lager – Gold
  • 2003 GABF – American-Style Light Lager – Bronze
  • 2004 GABF – American Style Light Lager – Silver
  • 2005 GABF – American Style Light Lager – Gold
  • 2006 GABF – American Style Light Lager – Gold
  • 2007 GABF – American Style Light Lager – Gold
  • 2008 GABF – American Style Light Lager – Silver
  • 2011 GABF – American Style Light Lager – Gold
6b49d99103a68d72b934252889833381.jpg

My split tongue viper X worked for a pharmaceutical company that was cash strapped developing a significant drug used in cancer fighting.
The needed a quick $15 billion to continue on and their credit and stock offerings were max'd out.
They were also up to 10 years away from final drug development. That's a tough sell to anyone with a spare $15 billon to invest.
Future looked bleek.

With a face like the map of Ireland, her boss spoke fluent Japanese. How that came about is a different thread for a different time.

Office phone rang one day from the golf starter. They had a visiting threesome and could he make it there in a few minutes to thus make it a foursome with total strangers?
Boss rolled and made the tee time.

Turned out it was three execs with Kirin Brewing of Japan out to ink a deal with Budweiser to brew Kirin at their brewery in Van Nuys Ca. What dumb luck, he spoke Japanese too. The golf starter didn't know this BTW.

18 holes later Kirin Brewing was on board with a cool $15 billion and a 10 - 15 year lag time as fine with them. All they wanted was the rights to sell in Asia and they would also pick up all the legal tabs.

So today if you or a loved one is being treated for cancer, a serious, often essential drug may be administered called Epogen.
And that's how it came about.

Like most others here, whatever we could get our hands on.

Lots of:
  • Lonestar Beer
  • Old Milwaukee's Best
  • Natural Light
  • Pearl
  • Keystone Ice/Light (in college 30 packs were constantly on sale $10.99-$13.99)
When all my buddies and cousins turned 18 years old they worked for the local Miller beer distributer so we drank a ton of free Miller High Life and MGD.

Liquor and other stuff was cheaper and stretched further so drank a lot of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, Everclear, McCormicks Vodka, Wild Irish Rose, Mad Dog 20/20, and St Ides hahaha.

Wild times. Now I cannot have a single drink of alcohol of ANY kind without getting what feels like a mild case of the flu for a few days after. It's ok though. I drank enough and had enough drunken fun for 10 men's lifetime from age 15-28.
These days I only drink 5-6 times a year over a long holiday weekend to be able to suffer the consequences hahaha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky