What Baking Bread Teaches a Pitmaster about Smoking Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok so a couple of things:

I sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom of the Dutch Oven to prevent the bottom from over baking.

Next after the first 18 minutes I remove the loaf from the Dutch Oven.

Chad Robertson in his book "Tartine" talks about how finishing bread in an oven with a falling temperature mimics a wood or coal fired oven. The bread only needs the high heat in the beginning for good oven spring. He suggests finishing the loaf by turning the oven off.

You need that high heat only in the beginning. I suggest for a lighter and softer crust add a small amount of sugar to the dough and shorten the first bake time. Mine is 18 minutes after trial and error, perhaps try 15 minutes then lower the oven to 450 for the next 15 minutes and finally end with the oven off.

Joe

So I'm just curious as to who taught Coach JoeQB Coach JoeQB to be such an enabler so quickly? :emoji_blush:

This showed up today...

20230302_173033.jpg

Look forward to using it! And I'm far from a good bread maker but do enjoy it!

Ryan

Ryan

I coached football for 45 years. I am retired now. Long ago I learned that the only to learn new things is to not be afraid to share what you know.

The other thing is I never had these ideas I appropriated them, so it's best to share.

Joe

I appreciate learning from others more experienced than me. I've learned a fair amount here about bread making but a lot to learn and remember! One thing for sure... can't beat the smell of fresh baked bread!

Ryan

Reactions: noboundaries
One of my favorite smells. It took a long time to get sourdough right. Then when I did I started making the loaf I favor most now. It uses a poolish and just comes out great. I no longer worry about the starter.

I also love a no knead Focaccia, it's very high hydration and the toppings are as many as you can think of.

Brioche is great for hamburger buns and French toast.

Ciabatta with a biga is also high on the list.

Joe

Reactions: noboundaries
One of my favorite smells. It took a long time to get sourdough right. Then when I did I started making the loaf I favor most now. It uses a poolish and just comes out great. I no longer worry about the starter.

I also love a no knead Focaccia, it's very high hydration and the toppings are as many as you can think of.

Brioche is great for hamburger buns and French toast.

Ciabatta with a biga is also high on the list.

Joe
As a type 2 diabetic this thread is killing me...lol I will take a good bread over any sweets out there!

Lol, I am a type 1 Diabetic. The biggest thing I have learned is moderation, and home baked bread is much better for a diabetic then store bought.

The other is growing up in Brooklyn, I learned to appreciate good bread.

Reactions: clifish
Lol, I am a type 1 Diabetic. The biggest thing I have learned is moderation, and home baked bread is much better for a diabetic then store bought.

The other is growing up in Brooklyn, I learned to appreciate good bread.
I am on Long Island know what you mean. Did you coach around here?

I coached in Brooklyn and then Queens until 1998, then Florida, North Carolina, and back to Florida.

Last couple of years in NY I lived in Huntington.

Joe

I coached in Brooklyn and then Queens until 1998, then Florida, North Carolina, and back to Florida.

Last couple of years in NY I lived in Huntington.

Joe
Nice, HS, college level or private coaching?

We are not that far from Huntington in Smithtown-St. James. Where in NC are you now? Our daughter is at ECU in Greenville, NC now.

Ok so a couple of things:

I sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom of the Dutch Oven to prevent the bottom from over baking.

Next after the first 18 minutes I remove the loaf from the Dutch Oven.

Chad Robertson in his book "Tartine" talks about how finishing bread in an oven with a falling temperature mimics a wood or coal fired oven. The bread only needs the high heat in the beginning for good oven spring. He suggests finishing the loaf by turning the oven off.

You need that high heat only in the beginning. I suggest for a lighter and softer crust add a small amount of sugar to the dough and shorten the first bake time. Mine is 18 minutes after trial and error, perhaps try 15 minutes then lower the oven to 450 for the next 15 minutes and finally end with the oven off.

Joe
Thanks! My new starter should be ready in 2 or 3 days and I'm going to try this method.
staring.jpg
Fingers crossed,
Dan

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky