What Baking Bread Teaches a Pitmaster about Smoking Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have used Tangzhoung before for Challah, worked great.

Here's a good tip for faster kneading in a kitchen aide. Get a spiral kneader. I got mine on Amazon, and the difference is amazing. Making my Brioche with the regular dough hook would take 28 minutes of kneading before coming together. Once I got the spiral kneader my brioche would take 8 minutes. My regular bread now takes 4-5 minutes. I have also noticed better oven spring.

Your bread looks great BTW.

Joe

Is this it?

1677164722595.png

Know your KA model. They come in different lengths based on model depth. And yes, that's a spiral dough hook.

I'm still trying to figure out how it kneads better than a C hook. Just might have to buy one to test the difference.

It's really amazing the difference it makes.

Joe

Spiral Dough Hook Replacement for KitchenAid 4.5-5 Qt. Tilt-Head Stand Mixers/Polished 18/8 Stainless Steel Accessories/No coating/Dishwasher Safe/Compatible for K45B/K5THCB/K5THBS​

Know your KA model. They come in different lengths based on model depth. And yes, that's a spiral dough hook.

I'm still trying to figure out how it kneads better than a C hook. Just might have to buy one to test the difference.

NB

Super important you get the one to match your KA. Great Tip

I don't know why, I only know I get much better kneads with it. It creates a smooth elastic dough much faster. I made my neighbor bagels one time. He ran out and bought a new Pro KA 6qt which came with a spiral dough hook. The next day we made bagels side by side and his dough came together much faster. So of course I had new KA envy thinking it was the machine. Someone told me no it's the dough hook. Amazon to the rescue, now I know it's the spiral hook.

I tend to make high hydration doughs and this works so fast. The real test was the brioche, when mixing it looks like it will never be dough because of the butter. The time of kneading went from 28 minutes to 8!

Joe

Reactions: noboundaries
I ordered one, Coach. Arriving tomorrow. Will probably bake my next loaf on Sunday or Monday. I'll use my Tangzhong recipe to challenge it.

Or...hmmm...bake some brioche-like Tangzhong cinnamon rolls tomorrow!

Joe...HOLY FRIGGIN' COW...what a difference! My whole wheat seeded dough, bulk fermented overnight with tangzhong and yeast added the next morning, usually takes in excess of 8-10 minutes to reach a smooth ball/clean the bowl/release from the bottom stage in the KA mixer. It only took 4 MINUTES!

I have to admit I was a major skeptic. No longer! Thank you so much for bringing this spiral dough hook to my attention.

Ray

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
I forgot to score the dough (DOH!), but it turned out great! Ugly as heck, though. (For those non-bakers, the angled crack in the side is due to uncontrolled expansion that a score cut down the center, or off to the side a little, would have prevented).

20230227_104148.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach JoeQB
Yeah, I do. Just forgot because I occassionally make sandwich bread that doesn't require a score. I usually stage the lame and a spray bottle next to the covered roasting pan I make this bread in. Didn't do that today. Oops. Still tastes great: just kinda ugly.

BLTs tonight for dinner.

Great looking loaf, Joe. I have a Dutch oven but prefer the loaf shape from a 13" oval chicken roaster. It was an experiment to try it initially. It is at least 40 years old. I also bought a new one last year for like $20. It's a literal duplicate. Both work great!

There are 1/4" deep grease channels stamped into the bottom of the roaster. When I liberally spray the inside of the roaster with water, a bit of water pools in the channels. The I add parchment paper, the loaf, rise and bake covered for half the bake. Built in steam!
20220723_110512.jpg

Ray

I used a clay baker for batards, same deal I got it at a garage sale. I just find the crust comes better in the Dutch oven.

The real thing is I give a good preheat(550). I cook the loaf for 18 minutes @ 485 then 15 minutes at 450. At that point I turn the oven off and leave it until it's the right color.

Reactions: noboundaries
I may be the only one who doesn't preheat. I think it keeps the bottom crust from getting too "done". I usually do 2 loaves. One in the Dutch Oven and the 2nd on a cast iron baking sheet.
It never occurred to me to shut off the oven and finish that way. Hmm....
Always trying to get a lighter crust for our tired old teeth. Any suggestions?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky