What about Rotesserie smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

needsmetidaho

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Boise, idaho
I dont see a forum for this?

I love going to this restaurant around here. Its a Brazillion Steak House. The meat is slow cooked on an upright Rotisserie. I cant duplicate upright cooking, but I love the idea of a Rotisserie. Has anyone tried smoking using a Rotisserie?

If so, I would be very curiius as to the results.

Phillip

Hey needsmetidaho!  I use the rotisserie attachment on my Weber Performer all the time.  It's kind of hybrid smoking and indirect cooking since I only use hot coals on the very outside of the kettle but I have to tell you, the product is awesome. 

I've spun countless chickens, turkeys, pork roasts (there's some pictures in my profile of the pork roast on the spit), stuffed beef roasts and I've even threaded ribs on the spit and spun them.  I usually use hickory or oak chunks on top of the coals in the Weber and try and maintain about a 300 - 400 degree temp in the chamber.  Obviously hotter than a true smoke, but that's the nature of the beast using a Weber.

Depending on how long the cook/smoke time is, I can replenish the coals with some fresh lump charcoal and fresh wood chunks, give the meat a spritz of apple juice/cider, pop the lid back on and go another hour easy with out thinking about the meat.

The taste is great and it takes a lot less time than a true smoke.  Just another option in the arsenal.

-Salt

Some of the big smokers have rotisserie's in them. They have trays that move around the inside of the smoker.

Hi ya GrayStratCat. Curious name.

it sounds really good and something Id love to try one of these days. I dont have a rotisserie. Any idea where I can get one?

If you have a Weber kettle type grill, they're pretty easy to find.  I would also recommend staying with a Weber rotisserie if you have a Weber grill.   Even Amazon had them last time I looked.   I got mine from Lowe's. 

If you don't have a Weber but you do have a name brand grill, most name brand companies make a rotisserie for their grills.  I had one for my Ducan before I finally burned it completely out and have one for my Napoleon as well as the Weber.

As for my Alias, let's just say I've been a geetar player for north of 40 years who has a little snow in his beard and hair and who has a special preference to Fender geetars....

-Salt

icon_cool.gif

Now there's a top selling brand of smokers called Southern Pride that uses the rotosserie method and I know a guy that swears by them to.

Sounds really interesting. Well, it makes sense that the meat would be very tender and moist since its rotating and basting itself for the entire time.

Cant wait to try it

needsmetidaho, I have a 7 pound chicken thawing out in the fridge right now, I plan on spinning on the Weber rotisseries either tomorrow or Friday for dinner.  If I get a chance, I'll post some Q-view.  I know it's not as exotic as the meat in a Brazilian restaurant (I've been to quite a few and enjoy them too) but it should give you an idea as to my setup.  Doesn't matter if I'm spinning yardbird, pork or beef, it's all pretty much the same on the spit other than the prep.

Get yourself a rotisserie, you won't regret it!

-Salt

I had mentioned I had a 7 pound yardbird thawing in the garage fridge… well I didn’t have a lot of time to do a long smoke on Friday so I thought a quick spin on the rotisserie was the ticket since I only had about 3 hours to get this done.  Total cook time was a little north of 2 hours with an IT of 165.

Thought I do a little q-view for reference as to my spit set up.

Bird just going on the spit.  Was brined prior and rubbed down with some seasonings inside and out.

I typically start the baskets with Kingsford briquette and then replenish with lump by just dropping a few pieces of lump

in each basket about every 45 mins to an hour.  (using lump to replenish really eliminates that nasty white

smoke Kingsford puts out when first getting started).  Also a few soaked hickory chunks.

171275c0_C1.jpg

Here's a shot of my spit set up

fbb2a3f0_C2.jpg

After about an hour and a half

34433a6b_C3.jpg

Fresh off the spit after a short rest under some foil for about 15 minutes

fa2f4823_C4.jpg

Quick and simple Friday night dinner.  Little chicken, mac and cheese and a nice garden salad.  Nothing real fancy put it was might tasty!

Sorry this shot didn't come out better.  The skin looks burnt here but it really wasn't - had a nice mild smokey tang to it and the brining really helps chicken in MVHO.

01585d55_C5.jpg

I have to tell ya, doing a bird like this puts to shame to the ones you can get at your local grocery store.

I've spun pork roasts, beef roasts, even ribs on this spit and really like doing it when I'm short on time.

Thanks for looking!

-Salt

Hey Phillip,

I read your profile, see we have the same interests, as for your question about the rotisserie you could have an aluminum ring bent about 8"-10" wide that would sit on your Weber to place the food farther away from the heat, then attach a rotisserie, use less lit coals to keep the temps down and voila, ... low and slow rotisserie chicken.

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky