Wet Curing Bacon for Beginners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I, of course, recommend starting out with wet curing if you're doing it for the first time. It's a safe way to get your feet wet and then you can move on into dry curing and more advanced techniques as you go forward.

It's wet cured with instacure #1 for 10 days, salt tested, air dried, smoked at 180°F (82°C) for 7 hours until it reaches 145°F (63°C) then sliced and frozen.

Here's a video showing the way that I process wet cured bacon..

I have had great luck with Pops brine that I learned here at SMF. Plenty of bacon and buckboard using it that my friends love. You got amazing color on that bacon Jeff! Going to share this video with a buddy. We are going to do some bacon in the next week or so.

Last edited:
Nice video Jeff!
I’m still a dry cure, cold smoke guy, but this is the way I got started curing meat and is a great way to start your curing adventure!
Al

Nice Job Jeff !
Great Video!
I tried both ways 11 years ago, but we liked the texture & flavor better with the Dry cure, for Bacon & Dried Beef.
However if I ever want to do a few small things like Drums & Thighs, I would go to the "Wet Curing" method.
Like.

Bear

I, of course, recommend starting out with wet curing if you're doing it for the first time. It's a safe way to get your feet wet and then you can move on into dry curing and more advanced techniques as you go forward.

It's wet cured with instacure #1 for 10 days, salt tested, air dried, smoked at 180°F (82°C) for 7 hours until it reaches 145°F (63°C) then sliced and frozen.

Here's a video showing the way that I process wet cured bacon..

great video. Quick question. do you buy belly already "de-skinned" or do it yourself? and when.
thsnks
john

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky