West TN Man Searching For Thin Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwich BBQ Sauce Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Will_Crump

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
I have posted this inquiry previously, but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I've had some very helpful suggestions from some very nice forum members, but not what I really need, so I'm asking again.

I am trying to learn how to replicate a delicious thin hot barbecue sauce one would find in West Tennessee at these little roadside barbecue shacks that is put on pork shoulder barbecue sandwiches. Does anyone have a recipe that replicates that wonderful sauce?

Last edited:
Bump for ya. Good luck! Tried the Mixon one? Back in the day I used to think the "secret" to things like this would be some sort of exotic ingredient, but these days I tend to think pragmatically. IE maybe they put the drippings in the sauce. That would surely kick things up. Fat, juice, smoke, spice.

I've never been to Tennessee is it mustard or a ketchup based sauce?

Chris

Bump for ya. Good luck! Tried the Mixon one? Back in the day I used to think the "secret" to things like this would be some sort of exotic ingredient, but these days I tend to think pragmatically. IE maybe they put the drippings in the sauce. That would surely kick things up. Fat, juice, smoke, spice.
Thanks for the reply.

Where can I find the Mixon sauce recipe? Is it on this forum? Got a link?

It was the one I posted in your other thread. Sounded spot on to me.

Snip and paste

Using my black belt google-fu I find: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jacks-old-south-competition-vinegar-sauce-recipe-1954359

Check out the reviews.

Here's one: "Been trying to find this for years! I am from West Tennessee-not talking about Memphis, but the rest of the region-this is the kind of BBQ sauce you could get at every little hole in the wall BBQ shack around, until a few years ago. If you are expecting a thick, syrupy, molasses type sauce-just pass this recipe on by. This isn't the one for you. If on the other hand, you want a flavorful non-sweet vinegar type sauce, this is the one! Even my daughter, who won't eat anything hotter than Worcestershire sauce, loved it! It was maybe 2 drops per bite, but still, that says alot about the flavor of it. I made Jack's BBQ chicken with the marinade, the rub, and the sauce. Family demolished it. The apple juice in the marinade and roasting pan helps to balance the spiciness and vinegary-ness without overt sweetness. This would be superb on pulled pork bbq."

Mixon sells the stuff and his book rocks too.

Reactions: Wood Chunk Chick
Search West Tennessee Mutton Dip Recipes. They are a high percentage of Worcestershire Sauce and water with a lesser amount of Vinegar for tang, balanced with a bit of sugar. Those are the main ingredients. The rest is to your taste
Granulated Onion, Garlic, S&P with Allspice and Herbs of choice round out the flavor. These are all in small amounts...JJ

Reactions: Wood Chunk Chick
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky