Weird Thing Happened Yesterday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

magnum

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
NE Ohio
I run a sand pan instead of a water pan. I had set up a run of jerky and the smoker was running a bit odd. Typically very easy to regulate but this time I just didn't have the typical finite control. I was able to slow it down for a bit by shutting everything off a couple of times but it wouldn't hold. I left for a few beers, came back and it was running at 225 as it had been for most of the run. I over did the jerky. When I took the smoker apart I discovered the sand pan had fallen down on top of the fire. No wonder it was running weird. I need to make sure the pan is centered and located securely in the future. With the foil on the way, it isn't as easy to tell. Live and learn.

I thought about trying to rehydrate but I am currently chipping my teeth on it :)

You could use it as a base for Pemmican. You want it 100% dry for that. You shred the dried product and blend it with beef fat (tallow) and other items to make a very durable (as in long term storage) product. You want the dried beef pounded to fibers, not powder. You can do it in a food processor if you don't over do it. You need to use rendered beef tallow as it hardens with a wax like consistency (before melting and mixing in the Pemmican). Pork fat will NOT work. Google Pemmican for recipes and you will see what I mean.

220px-Pemmican_ball.jpg

Pemmican was originally made from bison meat and once blended was stored in 100 pound batches inside sewn bison hides. Other red meat animals such as beef, elk, moose, etc... will also work (it needs to be a "red" meat). There is no moisture remaining in the finished product and the tallow will help to seal the interior of the hide (hide can be omitted in modern storage of course). There is a story of a buried hide that was found and the pemmican was still good as when it was buried decades later.
url

Last edited:
That's cool. If I was prepping I would give it a go. I am still hungry for jerky so it might be best to just pitch it. Thanks for the info.

It's hard to basically throw your money away. I've never had to toss meat but I have had to dump a 5 gallon batch of pale ale that went wrong. Feels the same way but sometimes that's what you have to do. Learning experience.

I tried. I actually had it in the trash but I pulled the bag out. Sad. My salvation is that I have another load in the smoker right now. :)
It is 28 F outside. Not really bad. I took the center section off and put the grill on it to load as verses loading it outside. Last time I thought I might get frostbite.
I have a new lump charcoal that is running hot.- Parkers Mountain Pure
Target completion - 2:30 PM.

Last edited:
I tried. I actually had it in the trash but I pulled the bag out. Sad. My salvation is that I have another load in the smoker right now. :)
It is 28 F outside. Not really bad. I took the center section off and put the grill on it to load as verses loading it outside. Last time I thought I might get frostbite.
I have a new lump charcoal that is running hot.- Parkers Mountain Pure
Target completion - 2:30 PM.

So that batch of jerky took a lot of work to keep the temp down. I was using the Parker Lump and what a PITA. Way too many smalls. Not from handling, just small pieces.
The jerky was worth it. I then went to GFS and got a big bag of lump and was itching to get back on track. This AM I put a smaller batch of jerky in the smoker and immediately it got down to my desired temp. Wind is blowing like crazy outside. No problem. I had a small shoulder roast in the freezer so I put it beside the jerky. I need to make sure I keep either the GFS or Cowboy or RO on hand at ALL times.

I've never tried to make jerky with lump since it burns so much hotter than briquettes. I use lump for poultry. I use RO Ridge briquettes when I make jerky. Based on this thread, I think I'll give lump a try for making jerky and see if I have temp issues too. With the RO Ridge I can run 165F-175F for hours and hours.

Out here in California (and several other Western states), we have a discount grocery chain called Smart & Final. They have the best price on lump charcoal I'd use. I can pick up 4x40 lb bags of Lazarri mesquite lump for 36 cents a lb, or $14.45 a bag ($16.99 is the regular price if buying only one bag). Everything out here is generally mesquite lump charcoal, but it doesn't add the mesquite flavor to the meat unless there are uncarbonized pieces in the bag, then the flavor is very slight.

I've never tried to make jerky with lump since it burns so much hotter than briquettes. I use lump for poultry. I use RO Ridge briquettes when I make jerky. Based on this thread, I think I'll give lump a try for making jerky and see if I have temp issues too. With the RO Ridge I can run 165F-175F for hours and hours.

Out here in California (and several other Western states), we have a discount grocery chain called Smart & Final. They have the best price on lump charcoal I'd use. I can pick up 4x40 lb bags of Lazarri mesquite lump for 36 cents a lb, or $14.45 a bag ($16.99 is the regular price if buying only one bag). Everything out here is generally mesquite lump charcoal, but it doesn't add the mesquite flavor to the meat unless there are uncarbonized pieces in the bag, then the flavor is very slight.

That's cool. I only use one chunk of apple when doing jerky since those lumps provide enough flavor anyway. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I am just on the edge of shutting it down in order to keep it at 180 deg F but it has been running perfectly all day. Only time it runs up is when it hits that chunk. I love the WSM.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky