Weekday ribs with Q views

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinLogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
Owensboro, Kentucky
I just got off of working night shifts on Monday morning, had a few days scheduled off work, so I set some ribs out of the freezer to thaw while I got the some sleep. I set up my UDS with some royal oak briquettes and pecan and cherry wood for smoke. It started out about 250 degrees but it settled in about 225 and held steady right there. I’ve read every UDS has its own sweet spot. Mine seems to be 225 consistently. 225 is great for the low and slow, but at times I wish it was a little easier to hold a little higher temps if I’m in more of a hurry, but i definitely cannot complain.

This is a few minutes after I applied my rub. It took on more of a pretty red color after it sat for a little longer. Can’t let those rib tips and trimmings go to waste. I did pulled the membrane as well.
73829614-8AB6-494A-B440-AA48AF6FB64F.jpeg

I went ahead and threw on a pack of bone in chops with the ribs too.
46FA5493-3573-4F9B-9B78-0A8E4D48A35B.jpeg

I basted the ribs a couple times with doctor pepper and a couple times toward the end of the cook with some parkay and my homemade bbq sauce, which includes a healthy amount of tiger sauce. These were the quickest cooking STL spare ribs I’ve smoked. They had good pull back and passed the bend test about 4.5 hours in.
609FB774-FFFA-42AA-8EC4-9F43B9EC7842.jpeg

I turned the rack over to see the bones better for some clean cuts and lost my nice glassy finish, but oh well, they still tasted awesome.
2022932C-A2E1-4243-B50E-B7A87748FCD1.jpeg

Had a nice smoke ring and were very juicy. They didn’t fall off the bone but didn’t take much effort to bite through either. I was very happy with the turnout. It made for a great meal.
B65F171A-3414-4DC3-BEE8-42FF99265050.jpeg

My youngest son (2 years old) is a BIG meat eater. His name is Graham but I usually just call him Ham lol. He loved Daddies bbq ribs. He ate it all before touching anything else. This kid has good taste.
E4B98AF8-834E-4A5D-9D7E-069C607A9E26.jpeg

Thanks for checking out my post. Let me know what you think!

Ribs look really good to me, and smart move keeping the young'in shirt-less while he's chowing down on those ribs. Skin is a whole lot easier to clean then a shirt.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Looks good! I have some in the freezer myself that need cooking, I haven't done ribs since December. Unfortunately the weather here looks like crap for the next week :(

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Ribs look really good to me, and smart move keeping the young'in shirt-less while he's chowing down on those ribs. Skin is a whole lot easier to clean then a shirt.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank for the compliment, and yes it’s a nightly ritual having the kids get their shirts off before dinner, the messy ones at least. But some of the best meals are messy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky