Wednesday night half ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Kroger’s had boneless half ribeyes on sale last week for $5.99 lb so of course I had to pick one up.
upload_2019-2-7_10-38-7.jpeg

upload_2019-2-7_10-38-24.jpeg

Got to work cutting into this bad boy. Had some nice marbling for choice.
upload_2019-2-7_10-41-9.jpeg

Picked 3 out for dinner.
upload_2019-2-7_10-41-41.jpeg

Vac packed the rest along with the hard fat I trimmed off. Hoping one of these days to get a grinder and put that fat to use making my own burgers
upload_2019-2-7_10-42-59.jpeg

Not bad for $42. Got 9 good thick ribeyes and a bag of fat.

Tossed the 3 for dinner in a quick marinade of Worcestershire dales cracked black pepper sea salt and garlic powder
upload_2019-2-7_10-44-54.jpeg

Got the grill real nice and hot.
upload_2019-2-7_10-45-40.jpeg

Tossed them on. About 2 1/2 min per side. Just enough time to down a cold one.
upload_2019-2-7_10-46-52.jpeg

Pulled at 120 and let rest for 10 minutes
upload_2019-2-7_10-47-22.jpeg

The results...
upload_2019-2-7_10-47-48.jpeg

Added a twice baked potato on the fine China and washed it down with a crappy beer.
upload_2019-2-7_10-48-41.jpeg

Not bad for $42 and a Wednesday night. Plus I still got 6 more ribeyes.

Nice looking ribeye's you've got there VOL. My backyard looks like a hockey rink right now. I had to put old old car mates out for skidmark to get into the backyard. So there is no way I'm dragging my smokers out there.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Nice looking ribeye's you've got there VOL. My backyard looks like a hockey rink right now. I had to put old old car mates out for skidmark to get into the backyard. So there is no way I'm dragging my smokers out there.

Point for sure.
Chris

Thanks Chris. You need to throw on a coat grab some PBR and get out there and smoke. It’s 77 here today which is a record breaking temperature

Good looking eats right there!
And that sure is a heck of a good deal!
Never see them that low around here, unless it's Australian beef, and I'm not a big fan of that.
Bought it once & was very disappointed.
Al

Good looking eats right there!
And that sure is a heck of a good deal!
Never see them that low around here, unless it's Australian beef, and I'm not a big fan of that.
Bought it once & was very disappointed.
Al

I bought an Australian beef tenderloin and smoked/reverse seared it at Christmas. Could def tell the difference but still turned out pretty good. Haven’t tried any other cuts of meat from there

Looks good but I would be doing the opposite. Cooking 6 and freezing 3 for something else. 6 adults with big appetites here...JJ

Looks good but I would be doing the opposite. Cooking 6 and freezing 3 for something else. 6 adults with big appetites here...JJ

Steaks were great! And you save a ton of money buying the half ribeye and cutting it yourself. If the store cuts and sells individual steaks they were $8.99lb on sale

Excellent Job, VolFan!!!
Love me some Ribeyes, and that's the price I've been waiting for!!
Looks Mighty Tasty.
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear. I’ve got a whole NY strip roast in the freezer saving for a special occasion...got that one for $3.99 lb! But man I love the ribeyes and couldn’t pass up $5.99lb

That is a great price. Locally I will get Whole Strip Loins on sale at $5.99 but for some reason Whole Rib Eye never go below $8.99, $12.99 most of the time. We eat NY Strip Steaks A LOT more often.☺...JJ

Thanks Bear. I’ve got a whole NY strip roast in the freezer saving for a special occasion...got that one for $3.99 lb! But man I love the ribeyes and couldn’t pass up $5.99lb

You should love that Strip Roast:
All the Choice NY Strip Steaks I ever got around here SUCKED!!
I quit buying them, but then they had NY Strip Roasts on sale for $3.77, so I bought the whole roast.
I made it exactly like I make my Prime Ribs, and I was shocked at how good it was. Awesome.
I actually did 2 of them over the last 3 years:

Here they are:
New York Strip Roast (Hickory Smoked)
New York Strip Roast (Christmas 2018)

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky