Wedding butt!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingearl

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Nicholasville
So my daughter is getting married tomorrow at 10:30 am. Then at our house at 5:00pm we’re having a bbq reception. Small wedding with about 30 family members. Here’s the plan:

Start smoking 2 7 pound butts at 11pm. They’ve been rubbed with Jeff’s rub and in the fridge since last night at 11pm. It’s now 10:00 pm and the MES 40 BT is on, climbing to a 260 temp. I’ll start the amps with a full load of pitmasters choice pellets at 10:45.
At 11:00 I’ll load the butts and the amps, turn the smoker down to 225.
I’ll have one of the Maverick 732 probes set for the smoker temp. The other for one pork butt and I have a backyard grill probe for the other butt. All the probes were tested tonight for accuracy. My #1 maverick I’ll use for the smoker is 2 degrees higher. The number 2 probe is dead nuts accurate. The backyard grill probe is 11 degrees high. At about 6 am, I’ll get up and check on things and see how the meat temps are going. I’ll check their IT’s and head off to the wedding about 9:30. Should be home around 11-12 noon. I suppose we shall see how it all unfolds lol.

Reactions: bdskelly
595271DB-EDDA-40AC-90D1-BE12C1055CE0.jpeg 40CCB540-7E19-4C4E-A6CD-E7EF3B5FE126.jpeg 595271DB-EDDA-40AC-90D1-BE12C1055CE0.jpeg

Reactions: bdskelly
Congrats on your daughter's wedding and gaining a son.
I hope it all turns out wonderful... The BBQ too.

I'd be concerned about having enough meat for the guests.
I like to have more than enough for events like that.
Bone-in or boneless butts?
14lbs - 30% = 9.8lb yield / 30 people = .32lb per person

Last edited:
CAE83F0E-1963-4A0D-A7DB-78C14D82907D.jpeg Should be fine as for enough. About 20 family members. Wife’s gonna cook a chicken in the oven too ( a few don’t care for smoked food; (crazies)

Just now put everything in the smoker.... will try to sleep some tonight, but I still get so excited when smoking that I don’t sleep well lol.

X2 enjoy everything!i think I'd do some Korean short ribs to on a BBQ. They would be a big hit

No better display of your love than good food. Especially smoked PB. Congratulations. May God bless the couple. Like! B

Maverick alarm went off at 3:15. Smoker temp down to 190. Meat was at 145 IT. My MES 40 died. Says it’s heatin up but it’s not. I fired up my old chargriller with the SFB. Transferred the butts and amps over. As of now it’s running 225 and smoking nice. Dunno how this is gonna finish up though. Will know more in a few hours. If nothing else, the butts will have some smoke in them if I have to pull and finish in the oven tomorrow. Have to go to the wedding about 9:30. I haven’t smoked with the charcoal chargriller in four years. Should be interesting...

Congrats to your daughter and glad you caught it early,the meat may not have taken in a lot more smoke at that temp but I still like to keep it going to 160 or so,hope every thing turns out great for such a important day

I'm sure everything will turn out fine!
Good thing you caught that temp drop when you did!
Congrats to your family & the Bride & Groom!
Al

Got to Lowe’s for some connectors. The MES is heating back up. The butts are about 160 now. I may put them back in the MES before we leave for the wedding. Depends on how the chargriller is going. 794D270E-1C94-45E5-B4F6-569D67D50F1F.jpeg

Turned out great. I have lots leftover that I’ll freeze.

Attachments

• 91138454-FE26-4161-B685-65E21147ACE8.jpeg
    91138454-FE26-4161-B685-65E21147ACE8.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 8
Glad it went well and gratz on the wedding!

I'm the some way..I'll time it so I fire off the pellets at 1-2 AM..so I can sleep in or what not. Nope, I wake up 5 hours later and zombie shuffle out to the smoker..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky