Webber Sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Been making a lot of cheese steak type sandwiches lately using beef knuckle . I say " type " because I've never had an authentic Philly cheese steak . So all I can do is what I think is right . Some good eats along the way too .
Saw the thread Bearcarver Bearcarver did on a Webber . Looked great . Finally got a chance to try it . Beef knuckle is affordable and great for a lot of things . Breaks into 3 football shaped muscles with some trim . I used the medium sized hunk for this . Used the MES 30 , with just light smoke . Set at 250 with a small hunk of hickory on the element .
Took the internal temp to 135 . Rested and completely cooled before I sliced it . I usually go overnight , but did this one the same day .
Out of the smoker , and cooled in the fridge .
Ready for slicing .
20201219_164931.jpg
I like to cut in half to slice . Hit the grain at a weird angle .
Almost looks 1/4 sawn .
20201219_165006.jpg
Sliced up and into the Pyrex bowl . Normally I would use beef broth or Lipton soup
to reheat .
20201219_165326.jpg 20201219_165801.jpg
I wanted to do this all in one pan . Heated up the newer Lodge pre-seasoned .
Then added the slices .
20201219_173512.jpg 20201219_175017.jpg
Got the rest of the stuff ready to go . Lettuce , tomato , mayo still in the fridge .
Fries for the air fryer . McCains beer battered . Check your store . They're good .
I cut the bread in half So you have a heel end on each sandwich . When I split them I don't cut all the way thru the heel .
Helps hold it together .
20201219_173737.jpg 20201219_175510.jpg
Getting close with the meat . Time to throw on some cheese .
Bear used motz . I used Swiss . Put the slices on top and let it melt .
20201219_180056.jpg 20201219_180504.jpg
Mixed the first slices in the meat , then added some more along with the tomatoes .
20201219_181228.jpg
Then the lettuce . Don't be put off by the hot lettuce .
It works .
20201219_181255.jpg
Heat thru and mix it up .
OK , at this point all I needed was a fork .
I also kept thinking taco seasoning , sour cream and a flour tortilla .
( that will happen )
20201219_181438.jpg
OK , back on track . Had to break out the baskets for this one .
I went heavy on the mayo , both sides of the bread .
Stuff full and in the basket .
Good size sandwich , had to put on top of the fries .
20201219_182555.jpg 20201219_182558.jpg
Ok , this is a great sandwich . Really good as is for sure . Not sure I would change anything .
Son is a peppers and onions guy , Daughter said she likes this better .
Me , I like both . Great sandwich . Love the mayo with the Maters and lettuce .
Happy bear shared this one .
Thanks for lookin .

Nice sammies chop! Those look fantastic. Letuce mayo and tomato on just about any sandwich is good in my opinion. Ive been waiting for sams to get knuckle in for about 2 months now. Ive been wanting to try and break one down myself.

Reactions: chopsaw
That looks great. You use knuckle a lot. I will have to see if I can find it here.

Great looking sammich!
I would love to try it!
Thanks for the comment . It's a great combination . I only new of it because it comes from Bears neck of the woods . He has a thread on it in his steps .
Nice sammies chop! Those look fantastic.
Thanks Travis . Must be beef sandwich week .
Ive been wanting to try and break one down myself.
This is a photo from another cook , but breaks out like this . The thing that helped me was doing my own deer . Just follow the connection with the tip of a boning knife .
3 muscles and the trim . The far left is more of a " flap " I roll it up and use the crock pot .
20200302_104145.jpg

That's a tasty looking sandwich! Looks like you just about need a bigger basket! Lol.

Ryan

That's a beauty of a sammie Chop. No knuckles to be found around here - bummer

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking cook on the roast and nice sandwee! We use all the round cuts for making sandwich meat. This post makes me think I better make baguettes. I'm sure we'll have leftover prime rib and we'll need to make sandwiches.

Outstanding, Rich!!
You did more than "Justice" to a Great "Quakertown Born" Sammy.
Making me hungry now.
Glad you like it!!!
Like.

BTW: I never mentioned to any of you guys how many of the Steak Sammy places around here, after slicing the Steak Roll in half, they use their fingers to pull out a lot of the soft insides of the Roll, to make more room for the guts of the Sammy, so you can get a good amount of Meat & such inside the Sammy, without it falling all over the place.
LOL---I never mentioned it, because I hardly ever do it myself. I'm too cheap, and can get more Sammies with the same amount of Meat, without doing that.
Just thought I'd mention it here.

Bear

Great looking sandwich Chop! Ever since I saw Bearcarver's post the other day, I've had that in the back of my mind. It will be a while, since we had cheesesteaks last Monday. You and John are correct, warm lettuce does work, as we get some great fundraising hoagies and put them in the toaster oven with everything on them.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky