Weather, Mother Nature, and Real Life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BXMurphy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2022
Methuen, Massachusetts
A couple of years ago, my brother was at the beach when a seagull snatched a burger off of a hot grill. Today, I'm smoking smoking a top round roast.

It's 33° F outside in a light snow with gusts up to 24 MPH. It is not ideal. And then I thought of you...

What is the worst weather you have smoked in? How did you crush Mother Nature so that you could finish a smoke?

Last years ice storm and the no power for 5/6 days , but still had the BBQ and the " Smokers Shack "
so until mother nature takes away my deck roof and the smokers Shack I win, ha ha

Oh my god now I have gone and done it

DSC_2133 - Copy.JPG

David

It's 33° F outside in a light snow with gusts up to 24 MPH. It is not ideal. And then I thought of you...
February 2021, Snowvid. Temp was 4 degrees, blizzard conditions, and the wind howling 35 to 40 mph. No electricity and of course we needed to eat. Grilled some steaks on the patio in pure survival mode. Not fun at all but got it done.

Robert

I cooked a jambalaya in a hurricane one time. Much like Robert, power was out and we needed to eat. I cooked for the entire neighborhood. Set up on the downwind side under a metal overhang. Neighbors built a temporary cinder block and sand bag wall on one side to block the wind. At one point the wind was clocking over 90mph on the up wind side....but I had already put the rice in and did not need to stand over the pot at that point. When it was done, we rolled the pot into the house (stand on wheels).

Christmas Eve just a few weeks ago. It was -1° outside with a slight wind, and I was smoking Italian Sausages on my Rec Tec at 10:00 at night. Man that was cold for this TN boy. The Rec Tec pulled it off, but boy did it chew through some pellets.

Reactions: BXMurphy
February 2021, Snowvid. Temp was 4 degrees, blizzard conditions, and the wind howling 35 to 40 mph. No electricity and of course we needed to eat. Grilled some steaks on the patio in pure survival mode. Not fun at all but got it done.

Robert

You WHAT?!?? Man!!! That is the WORST!

You're my hero!

Murph

I cooked a jambalaya in a hurricane one time. Much like Robert, power was out and we needed to eat. I cooked for the entire neighborhood. Set up on the downwind side under a metal overhang. Neighbors built a temporary cinder block and sand bag wall on one side to block the wind. At one point the wind was clocking over 90mph on the up wind side....but I had already put the rice in and did not need to stand over the pot at that point. When it was done, we rolled the pot into the house (stand on wheels).

Holy SMOKES!! The whole stinkin' NEIGHBORHOOD?? In a **HURRICANE!!?!**

You have GOT to be kidding me!

You're my new hero! (TX Smoker! Yer FIRED!)

Murph

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard

Robert
That was a crazy storm Robert. I cooked a pot of stew right on the coals in my fireplace.

Reactions: JLeonard
Holy SMOKES!! The whole stinkin' NEIGHBORHOOD?? In a **HURRICANE!!?!**

You have GOT to be kidding me!

You're my new hero! (TX Smoker! Yer FIRED!)

Murph
Little background here....
The town I live in (Gonzales, La.) is the self proclaimed "Jambalaya Capital of the World". Everybody here pretty much knows how to cook one. There is even an annual festival and contest. Every large event from Church Fairs to Funerals, Weddings to School Fundraisers...you can expect to see pots of jambalaya served. It is an economical way to feed a lot of people and gives you a lot of wiggle room for portions in case you need to stretch it.

Well, when the power when out, the winds were just starting to pick up. A few neighbors came over and a plan was put together. Everyone went home to grab whatever they had in the freezer. We had packs of pork chops, country style ribs, few whole frier hens, and a lot of smoked sausages of various sorts. And Everybody brought rice.

The best spot was at a neighbors house. On the down wind side of the house, he had a metal roof cover over his carport with a 4' high wall on one end. When we started cooking, winds were 45-50mph. 2 hours later the winds were 65mph. Put the rice in about that time and when the rice was done it was gusts to 90mph.

Filled up a 5 gallon pot. coulda fed 40-50 people.

Christmas Eve just a few weeks ago. It was -1° outside with a slight wind, and I was smoking Italian Sausages on my Rec Tec at 10:00 at night. Man that was cold for this TN boy. The Rec Tec pulled it off, but boy did it chew through some pellets.

Heh! Temps at -1°... Yeah... that'll eat a bag o' chips in a hurry!

Murph

Winter time pretty much everytime I grill/smoke. It’s normally in the single digits or negatives around this time of year but I still get out and smoke or grill. Neighbors think I’m crazy. Here is a pic of when I left one of my kettles out overnight after using it. I usually keep my driveway cleared off but sometimes it just sneaks up on you
C1E5F878-7EE7-4FB0-9135-EAC445F79A25.jpeg

Well I should not have said anything, we have not had snow to speak of yet, not the norm here
It is in the history books as of now, we are getting very warm temps, than rain and freezing
So plus 12 C for a few days than down to -10 for a couple.
After I open my mouth yesterday, it was raining Friday and Saturday than turned to ice and wind for Sunday.
While in the office saw a tree come down past my window ( Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , it landed right where my RV was parked in the last ice storm )
right between the deck and the shed in the picture I posted above, too lucky again.

All our trees have broken tops and are weak from the the storms and hurricanes that have traveled through here in the last 2 years .
I have to get someone in to go up and remove the 20' broken tree tops that are stuck up there, as they will come down in the wind, one by one

From a very shaky David

Well I should not have said anything, we have not had snow to speak of yet, not the norm here
It is in the history books as of now, we are getting very warm temps, than rain and freezing
So plus 12 C for a few days than down to -10 for a couple.
After I open my mouth yesterday, it was raining Friday and Saturday than turned to ice and wind for Sunday.
While in the office saw a tree come down past my window ( Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , it landed right where my RV was parked in the last ice storm )
right between the deck and the shed in the picture I posted above, too lucky again.

All our trees have broken tops and are weak from the the storms and hurricanes that have traveled through here in the last 2 years .
I have to get someone in to go up and remove the 20' broken tree tops that are stuck up there, as they will come down in the wind, one by one

From a very shaky David
Glad you're safe David! But you do know...that's not the way we play lawn darts in the states! Best get those widow makers removed.

Ryan

Winter time pretty much everytime I grill/smoke. It’s normally in the single digits or negatives around this time of year but I still get out and smoke or grill. Neighbors think I’m crazy. Here is a pic of when I left one of my kettles out overnight after using it. I usually keep my driveway cleared off but sometimes it just sneaks up on you
View attachment 654735
Can't keep a good Weber down.....

Glad you're safe David! But you do know...that's not the way we play lawn darts in the states! Best get those widow makers removed.

Ryan
Really , I have been doing it all wrong, :emoji_laughing: . I go out every wind storm and run around the yard trying to not get hit.

But seriously, I have someone coming by this week to take a look . The trees are about 50+ feet high and than that is where they are snapped off at and just either stuck amongst the other branches or, just hanging by less than half of their stock.

I cant leave them like that, as sooner or later I will not be as lucky with out them hitting structures

David

17 below. I ended up building an enclosure for my little cabinet smoker to try to keep some heat in it. Smoked in colder than that, but not while building a makeshift brick wall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky