• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

we have bacon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeff 1

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 11, 2011

I cured a 13 lb pork belly for 10 days and smoked with apple and hickory yesterday, just started sliceing today and thought I better get a pic for you guys

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Joined Mar 31, 2010
Man O Man that bacon looks great.. Nice job bet that is going to taste good..

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Jun 1, 2008
sweet. Looks great.

jeff 1

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 11, 2011
Man O Man that bacon looks great.. Nice job bet that is going to taste good..
it is pretty tasty,  it was all dry cured and did 3 sepperate variations.  Tomarrow I am going to smoke a fatty and use my homemade bacon with some homemade sausage

now that I got some room in my fridge I picked up another belly and a 2 pack of boston butts and I think I am going to try a wet cure on them

Last edited:

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Yep your addicted. Now bacon is a great thing to make yourself. I personally wouldn't use it on a fattie for the flavor will get lost in the sausage and you will use an awful lot of bacon too. I use some cheap thin bacon on my fatties. You'll find out that most folks here will say the same too. But if you want to go for it and see what happens.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Nice Job!!!

Nice meaty Bacon too!

Beautiful---Simply Beautiful !!!

Bear  (Bacon Lover)

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
3 Variations and which one do you prefer?

How about a recipe to share with your fellow Smoke Buddies?

Great Job!!

Todd

gotarace

Limited Mod
Joined Jan 27, 2011
Great looking bacon...have to agree with mballi... use the cheap thin bacon on the fattie and keep the excellent looking bacon you have there for sunday brunch.

jeff 1

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for compliments guys,  I just had a bacon sammich and mmm it was good. 
3 Variations and which one do you prefer?

How about a recipe to share with your fellow Smoke Buddies?

Great Job!!

Todd
I used pickleing salt and brown sugar in about a 60/40 ratio and cure#1, then the same plus maple syrup,  then I did one with kosher salt, organic sugar cure#1 and a bunch of different herbs.  I liked the one with just salt and brown sugar the best

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
That looks awesome

chefrob

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 13, 2009
Originally Posted by Jeff 1

now that I got some room in my fridge I picked up another belly and a 2 pack of boston butts and I think I am going to try a wet cure on them
have you done this before? if so what formula do you use for the pickle? nice lookin bacon also! 

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
That bacon looks great. Way better than what you see at the store. I'm getting inspired. I guess I need to tear apart that broken old fridge I got.

jeff 1

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 11, 2011
have you done this before? if so what formula do you use for the pickle? nice lookin bacon also! 

I have wet cured canadian bacon with a different brine but this time I am using Pops formula with the salt and cure#1 a smidge on the light side.  After seeing it posted in some other threads I thought that should be easy enough.  It seems the more simple you keep things the better they are in many cases so I am attracted to the idea of it.  I have the butts deboned and sliced in half and the belly is skinless so I figure I will let them both set in the wet cure for 7 days

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.