we have bacon !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeff 1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
icon_smile_tongue.gif

I cured a 13 lb pork belly for 10 days and smoked with apple and hickory yesterday, just started sliceing today and thought I better get a pic for you guys

029zar.jpg

Man O Man that bacon looks great.. Nice job bet that is going to taste good..
icon14.gif
it is pretty tasty,  it was all dry cured and did 3 sepperate variations.  Tomarrow I am going to smoke a fatty and use my homemade bacon with some homemade sausage
banana_smiley.gif

now that I got some room in my fridge I picked up another belly and a 2 pack of boston butts and I think I am going to try a wet cure on them

Last edited:
xrocker.gif

Yep your addicted. Now bacon is a great thing to make yourself. I personally wouldn't use it on a fattie for the flavor will get lost in the sausage and you will use an awful lot of bacon too. I use some cheap thin bacon on my fatties. You'll find out that most folks here will say the same too. But if you want to go for it and see what happens.

Nice Job!!!

Nice meaty Bacon too!

Beautiful---Simply Beautiful !!!

Bear  (Bacon Lover)

3 Variations and which one do you prefer?

How about a recipe to share with your fellow Smoke Buddies?

Great Job!!

Todd

Great looking bacon...have to agree with mballi... use the cheap thin bacon on the fattie and keep the excellent looking bacon you have there for sunday brunch.
icon14.gif

Thanks for compliments guys,  I just had a bacon sammich and mmm it was good. 
3 Variations and which one do you prefer?

How about a recipe to share with your fellow Smoke Buddies?

Great Job!!

Todd
I used pickleing salt and brown sugar in about a 60/40 ratio and cure#1, then the same plus maple syrup,  then I did one with kosher salt, organic sugar cure#1 and a bunch of different herbs.  I liked the one with just salt and brown sugar the best

That looks awesome
bravo.png

Originally Posted by Jeff 1

now that I got some room in my fridge I picked up another belly and a 2 pack of boston butts and I think I am going to try a wet cure on them
have you done this before? if so what formula do you use for the pickle? nice lookin bacon also! 

have you done this before? if so what formula do you use for the pickle? nice lookin bacon also! 

I have wet cured canadian bacon with a different brine but this time I am using Pops formula with the salt and cure#1 a smidge on the light side.  After seeing it posted in some other threads I thought that should be easy enough.  It seems the more simple you keep things the better they are in many cases so I am attracted to the idea of it.  I have the butts deboned and sliced in half and the belly is skinless so I figure I will let them both set in the wet cure for 7 days

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky